Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 10:55 AM

Re: Poetic Justice?

I don't know the circumstances of this case but it would be really heart breaking if your one cow was killed by a lion or your vegetable plot trampled by an elephant .
I am playing the devils advocate here I am against poaching but its more heinous IMO when done by mega rich Americans and others for status.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Rightly so! I would like to think it put others off from poaching - but I doubt it!
No , unfortunately it won't. These lions in a private reserve, the poachers know exactly what they are out for i.e. skins, heads, tails, teeth, bones, medicines, every part is valuable to the poacher. They are also poaching from sanctuaries .
They did just that to dear Jose and Liso, two of the special needs lions (from beatings to their heads) that had become great friends, and had been rescued and relocated back to their homeland only a short time before, from circus cruelty in Peru.
Even now, 12 months on, they have not found the poachers, but there is no doubt that they had inside information from people working in the sanctuary.
So is it that they can't find them, or don't want to find them, because the corruption is everywhere. and that goes to the top of these countries ?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 11:19 AM

Apparently, only the poacher's head was left. I wonder if the lions will hang it on their wall?
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 11:40 AM

There is always conflict between wild animals and humans, mostly because humans encroach further and further into the animals territory. The BBC article above refers to local villagers who have always hunted and eaten bush meat, not trophy hunters or those who want to make money from killing elephants and Rhinos for their tusks and horns, or those who want to steal baby animals to sell as pets or to zoos.

Local people who lose any of their stock, cows, goats, etc, to wild animals are compensated financially for the loss, as are those who lose their crops to elephants.

Even the Masaai are not allowed to carry on their tradition of killing a Lion to prove their manhood these days and many Masaai actually work as rangers these days.

Wild dogs, Lions, Cheetah, are all on the endangered list and numbers are getting less each year. No doubt the day will come when there are no animals left in the wild, other than human animals, which is very sad.

I'm not afraid to say I have no sympathy for poachers, such as the one in this case, he wasn't hunting to live, he was living to hunt.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top