Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2018, 12:43 PM

Help Please With A Recipe....

Morning all, wonder if anyone can help. Now He Who Must Obey loves his white fleshy fish. Cod, Haddock, Coley, Bassa, any of those are fine. I buy fresh from the fishmonger's shop and usually serve it with mash or new potatoes, broccoli or green beans. He loves that meal.

However, He suggested that a nice Fish Pie made with any of the above in a cheese sauce with the Mash on top would go down a treat........BIG PROBLEM! I loathe Salmon of any description, and I found that prawns tend to be overcooked in a fish pie, so I set about looking for a tasty fish pie recipe that I could do without the two fish (salmon/prawns) that usually give the big bite of flavour in a fish pie. Do you think I could find even one!! Every single recipe contains salmon and prawns!!

Is there possibly anyone here who has a lovely, tasty recipe for fish pie without these two ingredients. I would be most grateful if you have. Thanks xx
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2018, 12:54 PM

Re: Help Please With A Recipe....

Yes darlin' - COLEY!!!

Wrap pieces of fish in foil (with a knob of butter), place on a flat tray and bake in oven for approx 20 mins. Remove from oven, flake into a casserole dish, pour cheese sauce over fish, cover with mashed potato and add slices of or grate cheese over the potato. Return to oven and bake until cheese melts and turns golden brown.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2018, 12:55 PM

Hi SG
I love fish pie too ..
This one doesnt need salmon in it...see if it floats your boat!

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/25493...-fish-pie.aspx
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2018, 12:59 PM

What about mostly white fish, say cod, mixed with some yellow smoked haddock?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2018, 01:13 PM

My recipe

Poach fish in milk + a little water ... drain, keeping the liquid.
sweat an onion and chopped fennel, add plain flour then the liquid, the fish and boiled egg
Place in a too big casserole dish cover with mash, leaving a gap around the edge for leaking juices, add cheese.
(I put cheese in the onion sauce too)
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2018, 02:04 PM

We never use prawns SG, they overcook so easily and end up tough and tasteless, so why not just do as we do, omit the prawns completely but then replace the salmon with the same quantity of smoked fish maybe haddock or even smoked mackerel for a stronger flavour.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2018, 02:26 PM

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...ish+pie&page=2

One of the most infuriating things on this site is you can't post the same photo more than once grrrrrrrrrr!

So all I can do is point you to this thread and post11 Jilly Cooper's Gloucestershire Fish Pie...omit the prawns and add chopped hb egg if liked see post2
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2018, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
One of the most infuriating things on this site is you can't post the same photo more than once grrrrrrrrrr!
What on earth do you mean Ruthio?

You can embed or link to any image as many times as you want. You must be doing it wrong.

Here you go:

susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2018, 05:30 PM

Hi SG,

I don't like Coley, I use Cod and Smoked Haddock for fish pie.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2018, 05:33 PM

www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/smoked

Just delete the Prawns.

Sorry something went wrong here, can't find it on here now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top