Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 03:10 PM

Re: Heartwarming One Pot Lamb Stew

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
UJ I usually pop some Aunt Bessies frozen dumplings in stews or casseroles I make in my slow cooker, theyre delicious and I agree too with you and susan that theyre a must have!

No, no, no Aysa darlin' - home made dumplings!!! - the work of but a few minutes using SR Flour and Atora suet, salt and water.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Hi everyone.Silly title really as you use other pots.

Don’t know about you but I struggle sometimes trying to think of seven dinners every week without being repetitive, HWMO often says “How about? …… but it’s usually something that he loves but I don’t particularly, such as Lambs Liver and Bacon with Mash, Onions, Peas and Gravy. I will eat a little of it but to be honest, can take it or leave it.

So, while browsing through my dog-eared menu scrapbook, I was pleased to come across this recipe that we both loved when I made it for Monday night dinner. I’ve made more and it’s now in the freezer for next time.

Of course, everyone has their own recipe for Lamb Stew, but this one is so nice, full of flavour and one of those dishes you are tempted to go back for seconds.
As usual, I parboil my potatoes for 5/7 minutes from boiling to ensure no hard potatoes!

I hope you enjoy it if you try it. If you are cooking it in normal oven, it’s 2 hours 20 minutes, In the slow cooker it’s 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high,

One Pot Lamb Stew, - enough for 4

Preheat Oven to 180C / Fan 160C / 350F / Gas 4.

INGREDIENTS

1.½ lbs Lamb Stewing Meat
3 rashers of Bacon cut into small pieces
2 tablespoons Olive Oil (or any oil)
3 Onions quartered
3 medium Carrots cut into 1 inch pieces
4 potatoes peeled with each cut into 8
A pint of rich Beef Stock
1 teaspoon of Salt
1/4 teaspoon of Pepper
1 tablespoon of Butter
1 tablespoon of Plain Flour
1.½ teaspoons minced Chives
1.½ teaspoons minced Parsley
½ teaspoon minced fresh Thyme

METHOD
In a large saucepan or large deep frying pan, brown the meat in 1 tablespoon of oil until no longer pink. Remove each batch of meat with a slotted spoon onto a plate. Add the onions, carrots, bacon pieces and the remaining oil to the saucepan. Cook for 5 minutes or until the onions are tender, stirring occasionally. Add the potatoes, broth, salt pepper and the Lamb. Bring to a boil.

Remove from the heat and transfer to a casserole dish. (if you haven’t got a lid for the casserole dish. Tear off a piece of foil larger than the size of the dish, cover it and very gently and carefully twist each corner of the foil until it fits tightly and snuggly over the dish. Keep any pan juices for later. Place in oven and cook for 2 hours 20 minutes.

Once meat and vegetables are cooked, take out of oven.

Melt the butter in a large pan over a medium heat. Stir in the flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in the pan juices. Bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the parsley, chives, thyme, meat and vegetables. Heat thoroughly.

Spoon into a soup dish and serve with yummy crusty bread or roll and butter.
And the source of the lambs?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Either Wales or New Zealand !!!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Either Wales or New Zealand !!!
I was thinking more about the thread on animal slaughter.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Bought from my local butcher, all lovely and lean Welsh Lamb I live near the border to Wales so it's nearly always Welsh Lamb.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 06:38 PM

.. got a pot of this simmering away as we speak.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top