Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 12:14 PM

Tomb with 50 mummies found in Egypt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-47103114 (more pics, some are gruesome!)

Fifty mummies dating back to the Ptolemaic era (305-30BC) have been found by Egyptian archaeologists, the antiquities ministry says.

The mummies, of which 12 were children, were found in four burial chambers 9m (30ft) deep in the Tuna El-Gebel site in Minya, south of the capital Cairo.

Some were wrapped in linen, others were in stone coffins or wooden sarcophagi.

Egypt's antiquities minister said the newly discovered tombs may have been a familial grave for a well-off middle class family.
Fascinating .....

Coincidentally, I was watching Tony Robinson's Egyptian Tomb Hunting on My5 last night ..... it seems that there are thousands of tombs, hidden by drifting sand, waiting to be discovered .....

These are not the ones stuffed with gold, though ..... but they do contain wall art and hieroglyphics which depict the life of the deceased .....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 12:17 PM

Re: Tomb with 50 mummies found in Egypt

Wow, they must have been very excited at coming across that find, Omah.

I wonder if, in thousands of years time, anyone will get excited about finding one of our burial grounds?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 12:27 PM

I saw this a few days ago and adore all things Egyptology. I couldn't, however, bear to see Tony Robinson in anything, I hate that breathless schoolboy excitement style of presentation of his which ruins a serious subject for me.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I saw this a few days ago and adore all things Egyptology. I couldn't, however, bear to see Tony Robinson in anything, I hate that breathless schoolboy excitement style of presentation of his which ruins a serious subject for me.
Aye, give me Alice Roberts any day. A bit more gravitas, knows her stuff and better looking to boot.
melfort
borders
melfort is female  melfort has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 02:27 PM

Fascinating. I love Egyptology.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 02:56 PM

They have found a lot of mummies but no daddies yet.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Aye, give me Alice Roberts any day. A bit more gravitas, knows her stuff and better looking to boot.
Used to be Alice "Pink'n'Punk" Roberts in 'Time Team' .....

Nowadays, most historical "documentaries" are more about the presenter than the subject - they're all called "Dr" and they all have personal stylists - the worst include Lucy "Dressy-Uppy" Worsley, Suzannah "Curly-Wurly" Lipscomb and Sam "Hard Man" Willis - I would, previously, have included Bettany "Slim Jeans" Hughes but she's 'mumsy' now .....
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 04:32 PM

The Giza Pyramids, built to endure an eternity, have done just that. The monumental tombs are relics of Egypt's Old Kingdom era and were constructed some 4,500 years ago. Egypt's pharaohs expected to become gods in the afterlife.21 Dec 2018

And Stonehenge ?

Stonehenge went through various transformations and didn’t always look as it does today. Radiocarbon dating suggests that the first stage of the monument – the circular earth bank and ditch that surrounds the stones – was constructed in about 3100 BC, while the first stones were raised at the site between 2400 and 2200 BC.

Over the next few hundred years, the stones were rearranged and new ones added, with the formation we know today being created between 1930 and 1600 BC.

So whilst Egyptians were cutting and moving stones of 60 ton hundreds of miles and laying them within 1 degree , building gigantic ‘puzzles’ in stone in the middle of a desert ... mankind in Europe had only evolved enough to put a few rough cut rocks on each other ...

Apologies but I just don’t buy into the pyramid theory at all

Let’s talk real for a moment as someone is telling lies somewhere about mankind

https://youtu.be/E3TQbV6cfQM
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

04-02-2019, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
The Giza Pyramids, built to endure an eternity, have done just that. The monumental tombs are relics of Egypt's Old Kingdom era and were constructed some 4,500 years ago. Egypt's pharaohs expected to become gods in the afterlife.21 Dec 2018

And Stonehenge ?

Stonehenge went through various transformations and didn’t always look as it does today. Radiocarbon dating suggests that the first stage of the monument – the circular earth bank and ditch that surrounds the stones – was constructed in about 3100 BC, while the first stones were raised at the site between 2400 and 2200 BC.

Over the next few hundred years, the stones were rearranged and new ones added, with the formation we know today being created between 1930 and 1600 BC.

So whilst Egyptians were cutting and moving stones of 60 ton hundreds of miles and laying them within 1 degree , building gigantic ‘puzzles’ in stone in the middle of a desert ... mankind in Europe had only evolved enough to put a few rough cut rocks on each other ...

Apologies but I just don’t buy into the pyramid theory at all
May I ask what you're talking about in relation to the thread ...... I can't make sense of the mélange of remarks .....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 04:43 PM

I find that amazing, I too love Egyptology.

My claim to fame is that when we visited Egypt for the first time in the 90's I actually touched The Great Pyramid of Giza, an amazing feeling at the time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top