Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2019, 11:54 AM

Re: Labour takes 5 point lead

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Wales would no doubt choose to remain in partnership with England if for no other reason that there's far fewer anglophobes in the Welsh population other than the old coal mining areas where the sounds of the banjo can be clearly heard (having six fingers helps players no end).

Such an ongoing relationship would benefit both nations with Wales selling water and agricultural produce to England and England selling finished goods to Wales in return.

As for Scotland, if the English were to have a referendum on its continued link with England I'll bet there would be an overwhelming NO! followed by a demand for a very hard border.

Ulster? I like Ulster and Ulster folk but the economic value of a link with Ulster is by no means clear especially if there is no very hard border with Eire which is when all is said and done a foreign country and with the hard border that should be a part of BREXIT doubly so.

But there is a very big elephant in the dining room and that concerns the future of England itself. I do wonder if in the possibly not too distant future partition will have to considered as happened in the case of India and may have to happen here and for the very same reason -----.
I think I know what you're getting at.

But how would you partition the country? Where would the border be?

We definitely have some specific cities: Londonistan, Bradfordistan, Lutonistan, Birmingistan, etc.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2019, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I think I know what you're getting at.

But how would you partition the country? Where would the border be?

We definitely have some specific cities: Londonistan, Bradfordistan, Lutonistan, Birmingistan, etc.
How would I partition our country? I would allocate Gruinard island but that's just wishful thinking and "Gruinardistan" might be difficult to pronounce after a few beers --- oh wait!

But to be serious, if we face the same problems that faced India, and I absolutely believe that's coming down the pike, then facts on the ground might indicate that some counties in the Midlands will end up being partitioned and, was in the case of the partition of India populations will move together with everything that will involve.

The alternative will be ethnic, or in this case, "culture" cleansing.

Not this year, not next, probably not in our lifetimes, but the path that we tread does not have a pleasant end.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2019, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
How would I partition our country? I would allocate Gruinard island but that's just wishful thinking and "Gruinardistan" might be difficult to pronounce after a few beers --- oh wait!

But to be serious, if we face the same problems that faced India, and I absolutely believe that's coming down the pike, then facts on the ground might indicate that some counties in the Midlands will end up being partitioned and, was in the case of the partition of India populations will move together with everything that will involve.

The alternative will be ethnic, or in this case, "culture" cleansing.

Not this year, not next, probably not in our lifetimes, but the path that we tread does not have a pleasant end.
In all sincerity, I believe you are right. It is inevitable.
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2019, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
In all sincerity, I believe you are right. It is inevitable.
"The inevitable rarely happens in real life."
- AJP Taylor.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top