Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 12:52 AM

Re: Young people react to Pink Floyd

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I think I was just too young and too naive when I heard it Floydy and it was probably not the best introduction to the band. I prefer comfortably numb. I heard that at someone's house after a party in the early hours. It's a work of art.
If you get the chance, listen to the Wish You Were Here album, a true masterpiece in my opinion. I prefer it to DSOTM.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
If you get the chance, listen to the Wish You Were Here album, a true masterpiece in my opinion. I prefer it to DSOTM.
I tell you which album was a real slow burner for me, Judd. It's Animals. What a GREAT guitar album.
I saw Roger Waters play almost the full record on his 'Us + Them' tour last year and it just shows the complexity of the work on that album. David Gilmour ignores it completely and never plays anything from it solo.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 07:49 AM

Whenever people play Pink Floyd LPs to the younger generation they usually choose Dark Side... or The Wall
I wonder what the reaction would be to some of the early stuff, like Meddle or Saucerful?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 09:09 AM

Home, home again
I like to be here when I can
And when I come home cold and tired
It's good to warm my bones beside the fire
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells

I've always liked that bit ... often sing it to myself.
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 10:03 AM

I love Floyd but I must admit I get a bit fed up with Waters and my dad was killed in the war so I never new him for gods sake get over it and as for the Last Cut

I have every album but as Gilmore himself has said on many occasions
Ummagumma What where we thinking
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 10:16 AM

I first saw Floyd at UFO in about 1967. They were very loud and very impressive. By 1969 I was at Brunel University where they played an amazing gig in November of that year. By this time, Syd Barrett had left the group due to his mental illness and had been replaced by the incredible Dave Gilmour. I've seen them a few more times over the years and they are one of the few 'rock' bands who have outgrown the limitations of the 'rock music' format to become simply unbelievable musicians where labels mean little or nothing.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
Whenever people play Pink Floyd LPs to the younger generation they usually choose Dark Side... or The Wall
I wonder what the reaction would be to some of the early stuff, like Meddle or Saucerful?
I've got both of those on vinyl.

This is the original `video` to the song `One of These Days` on the Meddle album which I saw on the Old Grey Whistle Test and went and bought the album next day.

That track is followed by one that should suit the Scousers on this site.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 12:16 PM

Animals is a fine album.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
Good question Zuludog. I wonder what they make of "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast" from Atom Heart Mother!

Originally Posted by Vaniy ->
I love Floyd but I must admit I get a bit fed up with Waters and my dad was killed in the war so I never new him for gods sake get over it and as for the Last Cut

I have every album but as Gilmore himself has said on many occasions
Ummagumma What where we thinking
Ummagumma was a bit of a stop-gap I think. Some solo bits and bobs coupled with an album of live music. Yes, bit of a waste of their time tbh.

I love The Final Cut, I think it's an essential album and brilliantly produced with the orchestra and all. But I do agree it was totally Roger's work and should not have had the Pink Floyd name attached.

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I first saw Floyd at UFO in about 1967. They were very loud and very impressive. By 1969 I was at Brunel University where they played an amazing gig in November of that year. By this time, Syd Barrett had left the group due to his mental illness and had been replaced by the incredible Dave Gilmour. I've seen them a few more times over the years and they are one of the few 'rock' bands who have outgrown the limitations of the 'rock music' format to become simply unbelievable musicians where labels mean little or nothing.
I'm envious as hell, Mick, that you saw the Floyd. Not only in the early days but other times as well. I never got to see my favourite band, although I saw Roger live last year and my ambition is to see David Gilmour in concert which may happen next year as he will be releasing a new album.
Nick Mason's "Saucerful of Secrets" is on it's third tour already and that too looks interesting.

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Home, home again
I like to be here when I can
And when I come home cold and tired
It's good to warm my bones beside the fire
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells

I've always liked that bit ... often sing it to myself.
Got it on a t-shirt mate, of course!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 04:40 PM

I've never been too analytical of the lyrics in Pink Floyd music (maybe I should be). It's more the way the the voices sound, the instrumentation and the way the music flows that grabs me.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top