Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 10:15 AM

My plan for Easter

I've been Surfing t'Net for Exhibitions, Festivals, and similar events in the coming months

I've decided to go to this -

The Re-enactment Festival, Greenfield, Holywell, Flintshire
20 & 21 April 2019

It is for most periods, so I'm expecting everything from Roman to Mediaeval, Civil War, up to 1940s

Since I retired I have taken up leatherwork, so there might be something about that, too

Most of these sort of events are in the South or East Anglia; this is one of the few that I've found in anything like the North
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 10:19 AM

Re: My plan for Easter

Ooh that sounds like fun!
They have a lot of good things going on at the Greenfield heritage site to be fair.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 10:19 AM

That sounds really interesting, Zuludog.

So does your hobby - what sort of leather things do you make?
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->

I'm glad you asked Tabs !
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 11:32 AM

Who knows how you choose a hobby?
Why do people take up golf, or basket weaving, or model trains, or wood carving - or leatherwork?

I had a sheath knife but I didn't like the handle, so I removed it and made a new one
So I found that I liked knife making, and that became one of my main interests
Some people make their own blades, but you have to be pretty keen to do that; I buy in ready made blades from suppliers then fit my own handles

But they need a sheath, so I started making those as well
At first I wasn't very interested, it was simply a means to an end, but it grows on you
Instead of being simply 'summat to hold the knife' I'm trying to make them to a better standard, and hope to start on wallets and belts soon

As you might expect, there is a lot of information on The Net & YouTube

There is a knife making forum, but it's subscription only, so I won't bother posting it unless you ask

For leather - www.leatherworker.net

for knifemaking this supplier's website is probably the easiest to follow, to see the sorts of things available,though there are British ones as well - www.brisa.fi

Search YT for 'knife handles' and 'leatherwork'; there are loads of videos
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

06-04-2019, 04:25 PM

I was hoping for something more along the lines of a laced together Robin Hood style tunic..

Still a girl can dream!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 04:26 PM

That is great, Zuludog, thank you for such a full reply.

In the days when we still had a 'leather shop' in town they could make/repair anything for you - from keyrings to shopping bags and more. They sold big bags of 'off cuts' for half of nothing - and I used to make fancy belts from them. It was so satisfying.
zuludog
N E Lancashire

06-04-2019, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
I was hoping for something more along the lines of a laced together Robin Hood style tunic..

Still a girl can dream!
Well it can be done of course, but not by me!
zuludog
N E Lancashire

06-04-2019, 05:51 PM

That is great, Zuludog, thank you for such a full reply.

In the days when we still had a 'leather shop' in town they could make/repair anything for you - from keyrings to shopping bags and more. They sold big bags of 'off cuts' for half of nothing - and I used to make fancy belts from them. It was so satisfying.
Times have changed I'm afraid
When I was a boy there was a traditional cobblers in the village, as there was in every town & village; but not now, though I do know of a couple

I was talking to a professional saddle maker, and he said there are virtually no offcuts any more
At one time they used to choose the best pieces, and any offcuts or smaller pieces were, as you say, sold off very cheaply. Now they must use as much as they can

Any leftovers that are absolutely too small are sold back to manufacturers to make 'genuine leather' cheap belts and other items, like wallets. It's leather alright, but not as we might imagine. The leather is milled into particles and then mixed with resin and rolled out into sheets to be cut and used again

Tandy is an American hobby supplier, but they have a few shops in the UK and Europe

Search t'Net for 'Tandy Leather Manchester' and you will see what's available, and the prices in £
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 06:24 PM

Zulu, I had a friend who was into re-enactments. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top