Join for free
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2019, 08:51 PM

Foot clinic - rip off charges

Before I had Holly I was a regular patient at a foot clinic because I get so much hard skin.

I haven’t been since I got her, because it is a fair old bus journey. In fact, I need another bus to get to that line.

So. Usual price is £30. OAP price, £25. When I phoned recently to go back I was quoted £40, because there is a surcharge of £15, ie a charge of £45 for new or returning customers after a year.

Now I can understand this higher charge for new patients, to take down their medical history, but seriously, don’t they keep old patients on their system??

I went somewhere else some weeks ago but wasn’t happy with the treatment as first I had a sore spot on one sole, and secondly they didn’t remove all hard skin.

I have had to give in and book with my original clinic, and to pay £40 - OAP price - because there is so much cracking in the hard skin and occasionally it is painful to walk.

Flipping rip off.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2019, 09:11 PM

Re: Foot clinic - rip off charges

I have problems with hard cracked skin on my heels and a certain area underneath the little toe on the 'bony' area seems prone to corn, which is really painful for walking. (I always thought corns were on the outside of toes where the shoes rub).

Our GP surgery runs a free service once a week for podiatry. So I went. They removed the corn and dealt with the hard skin and said basically that that was my free session and that I'd have to find somewhere else next time (ie pay a chiropodist I presume she meant). I realise my problem feet aren't anything serious, but I presume if folk have more demanding problems, they would be dealt with regularly.

Since that time I regularly file the hard skin on my heels (which still tends to crack), and the area where it's prone to corn under the little toe. Then I massage Vaseline (lots) in and wear socks. Works a treat

Sorry I'm not much help Jazzi. But at least you got it off your chest. Maybe try and do what I do with the Vaseline or maybe soak your feet in warm olive oil in an old washing up bowl while watching TV, dry and grease and sock 'em .... have a bit of 'me' time and see if it works. Sort of make it a routine perhaps.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2019, 09:35 PM

I try to do as much to maintain my feet myself. I get hard skin and do my best to keep on top of it. The best thing I ever bought was a foot spa. You can sit in an armchair with a towel and soak your feet while the water bubbles up and keeps warm. It's a real treat. I also have a couple of really good foot files. One is a rotary battery one - a Scholl thing. The batteries drive round an abrasive cylinder. A bit expensive to buy, but it really gets the hard skin off. I do it when my feet are soft and dried. Other thing is like a horse foot file and I just keep rubbing away as and when needed and this I can do in the bath or shower. To keep the hard skin at bay I do these things on a weekly basis - afterwards putting cream on and covering my feet with little cotton socks. Little and often seems to work for me.

Just a thought Jazzi - might you be eligible for free NHS footcare. Worth trying in your area, if you haven't already done so. I don't think they will cut toe-nails though.

https://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Po...tionSearch/343
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2019, 09:36 PM

My brother swears by the Vaseline but his missus does the hard work of applying it for him. I tend to not want to bother night after night. I know I should.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2019, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Before I had Holly I was a regular patient at a foot clinic because I get so much hard skin.

I haven’t been since I got her, because it is a fair old bus journey. In fact, I need another bus to get to that line.

So. Usual price is £30. OAP price, £25. When I phoned recently to go back I was quoted £40, because there is a surcharge of £15, ie a charge of £45 for new or returning customers after a year.

Now I can understand this higher charge for new patients, to take down their medical history, but seriously, don’t they keep old patients on their system??

I went somewhere else some weeks ago but wasn’t happy with the tre

atment as first I had a sore spot on one sole, and secondly they didn’t remove all hard skin.

I have had to give in and book with my original clinic, and to pay £40 - OAP price - because there is so much cracking in the hard skin and occ
asionally it is painful to walk.

Flipping rip off.

Hi jazzi sounds like all these services like feet teeth etc
are following the same policies when dealing with OAPs
They say a countries prosperity can be judged by the
state of its citizens teeth, and judging by my own teeth and
the teeth of other people in my town we dont seem to be
doing very well!
as the so called 6th richest economy in the world our
teeth and our feet should be in better condition.
Perhaps in your case it would help if you invested in a
vibrating footbath and give yourself a nice warm soak
in the evenings,and then rub some olive oil into the hard skin
Worth a try anyway, and save you money andeffort in
the future.

Wish you well, Donkeyman.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2019, 09:47 PM

Jazzi, I am lucky I guess in that the skin of my feel is fine, it is the actual bone structure of mine that is causing problems these days.

Is your problem just hard skin, nothing else?
I keep mine soft my using one of those Foot Files you canbuy anywhere, like a giant emery board with a handle. It has quite a course side, then a much finer side on the reverse.
When I come out the shower, I file my heels, rub some of my moisturiser in, and hey presto - nice soft skin.

But you have got to keep up with it, and not just do it once it has got bad.
It only takes me a few mins after showering so doesn't bother me.

I like the suggestions of a bubbly foot spa, I bet that feels loverly.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2019, 10:07 PM

Along with a footspa with a drop of baby oil in (a bit messy I know) I can recommend one of these.

https://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/scho...ntent=Shopping
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

08-04-2019, 10:17 PM

Been looking at Google suggestions. I have a battery operated file but it’s useless.

Thanks for your suggestions and input. Google also said Listerine and vinegar in a warm water soak! Who’d a thunk it?! Lol.

Had a footpath once but got rid.
And those files just don’t seem to cut it with my feet.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2019, 11:06 PM

I suffered from very hard skin on my heels - sometimes it would crack.

I got some Scholl cream for cracked heels and it's made an amazing difference.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top