Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 05:23 PM

Re: New Anti Terrorism Law

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
One thing puzzled me with the announcement though. The wording ..... could be jailed for 10 years if they do not have a good reason for travelling to a place of conflict....

Could someone please explain to me, as this really irritates me, and not for the first time, why our politicians, morons though they are, haven't got the b....s to state ......WILL be jailed for 10 years if they do not have a good reason etc ...

Why is it that those flippin meaningless words such as could, may, and liable always used instead of the word that means what it says - WILL. WILL WILL.

Rant over!

Because the ultimate decision on the length of time to be served is down to the judge at their trial, not the politician - I would have thought that that was obvious.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Because the ultimate decision on the length of time to be served is down to the judge at their trial, not the politician - I would have thought that that was obvious.
Hang on a mo UJ. I don't recall reading anything like .... Up to ten years.... The statement said could be jailed for 10 years etc, so as far as I am aware, the mandatory sentence was given as 10 years! or are we going to continue to treat them similar to those who kill others on the road and get charged with careless driving, receive a couple of months sentence and then let out after a few weeks for good behaviour?.

If the sentence of 10 years is a mandatory one, then stop pussyfooting around and mean what they say!

WILL, WILL, WILL, not COULD. Cowards!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 06:29 PM

Hang on a mo UJ. I don't recall reading anything like .... Up to ten years.... The statement said could be jailed for 10 years etc, so as far as I am aware, the mandatory sentence was given as 10 years! or are we going to continue to treat them similar to those who kill others on the road and get charged with careless driving, receive a couple of months sentence and then let out after a few weeks for good behaviour?.

If the sentence of 10 years is a mandatory one, then stop pussyfooting around and mean what they say!

NO, NO, NO !!! - Because every case is not as clear cut and dried, judges have the dircretion to vary the length of sentence to reflect that, hence 'may' or 'could'.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 06:39 PM

Hi

We have to differentiate between the easily led and the Hardcore.

I do not support the view that they are all easily led, far from it.

It is in my experience that 9 out of ten are hardcore, and they go down, for life in my view.

There are some who have genuine issues and can be reformed, teenage hormones and bullying are an issue.

I did some mad things in my teenage years.

It is not that difficult to sort them out, the easily led break down and cry, the others do not.

Anyone who does not flicker an eyelid when shown a picture of a dead baby is a danger.

It is all down to experience.

They are taught how to beat Lie Detectors.

You cannot beat an experienced operator.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
NO, NO, NO !!! - Because every case is not as clear cut and dried, judges have the dircretion to vary the length of sentence to reflect that, hence 'may' or 'could'.
Think that's from the maximum they are allowed to impose.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We have to differentiate between the easily led and the Hardcore.

I do not support the view that they are all easily led, far from it.

It is in my experience that 9 out of ten are hardcore, and they go down, for life in my view.

There are some who have genuine issues and can be reformed, teenage hormones and bullying are an issue.

I did some mad things in my teenage years.

It is not that difficult to sort them out, the easily led break down and cry, the others do not.

Anyone who does not flicker an eyelid when shown a picture of a dead baby is a danger.

It is all down to experience.

They are taught how to beat Lie Detectors.

You cannot beat an experienced operator.
I disagree. Unless there is a very good and provable reason then jail and ten years is nowhere near enough.

What might be useful is if there was some form of license the genuine needy could apply for prior to travel.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Think that's from the maximum they are allowed to impose.
Which means that the normal sentence will be much less, possibly suspended, and only serve half in clink.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top