Join for free
Page 350 of 370 « First < 250 300 340 348 349 350 351 352 360 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2020, 11:56 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Message for Foxy . . .

Hiya Foxy, I thought of you the other day because there was a man on the news who ran a marathon in his back garden. Have a look at this.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...en-coronavirus

There was also another chap on our local news who jogged 60 miles and over 2,000 laps in his back garden too. Whew!
Hello Mups......

It just goes to show Mups, that there is no reason to miss a run....

Personally though, I would have gone out and done my marathon on the roads being as there is hardly any traffic. And there are lots of cycle tracks and bridleways to get your fill without ever seeing another individual. I ran 42 miles regularly across the North York Moors while training for fell running events and never saw another person all day. But I take my hat off to them, and say 'Well Done'.....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2020, 03:31 PM

Below is my exercise station. I'm avoiding going out at all and haven't got any exercise equipment, so this has to do. Ten minutes of vigorously stepping up and down on this (changing the leading foot about every minute) brings on a sweat, brings the heart rate up and will hopefully keep the leg muscles in trim for when I can ride the bike again (if ever).

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2020, 09:29 PM

You should google the 'Harvard Step Test' mart, it sounds just like the exercise you have been doing....
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2020, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Below is my exercise station. I'm avoiding going out at all and haven't got any exercise equipment, so this has to do. Ten minutes of vigorously stepping up and down on this (changing the leading foot about every minute) brings on a sweat, brings the heart rate up and will hopefully keep the leg muscles in trim for when I can ride the bike again (if ever).

Be careful on that Mart, it doesn't look very sturdy and I don't want you to fall.

Step up and down from your bottom step, unless you live in a bungalow. I bought my dad one of these and he uses it for 30 minutes every night. Much safer.

I hope you don't mind me saying Mart.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	cycle.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	12229  
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2020, 09:48 PM

I have one of those cycle things, I got it before I had my first knee replacement and found it helped me such a lot afterwards.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2020, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I have one of those cycle things, I got it before I had my first knee replacement and found it helped me such a lot afterwards.
they are good aren't they. They keep my dads legs going as he's not allowed out with him being high risk. He also touches his toes every night and does chair exercises. It all helps eh. x
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2020, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
You should google the 'Harvard Step Test' mart, it sounds just like the exercise you have been doing....
The Harvard Step Test looks about the same thing OGF. The block being used is a bit more substantial by the look of it but the height is the same.

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Be careful on that Mart, it doesn't look very sturdy and I don't want you to fall.

Step up and down from your bottom step, unless you live in a bungalow. I bought my dad one of these and he uses it for 30 minutes every night. Much safer.

I hope you don't mind me saying Mart.
I don't mind at all LQ The most that happens is that I can kick the stepping stool out of place once in a while. I've got the bench in front of me and I hang onto the back of the chair with one hand.

The height of the stool somewhat simulates the height of leg movement that pedalling a bike takes. I've thought about ordering some proper equipment but I'm hoping the need for indoor exercise will only be temporary.

I live in a bungalow, so no stairs. I could use the front or back door steps I suppose but they aren't very high and Mrs mart would never know if I was coming or going.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

12-04-2020, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
The Harvard Step Test looks about the same thing OGF. The block being used is a bit more substantial by the look of it but the height is the same.

I don't mind at all LQ The most that happens is that I can kick the stepping stool out of place once in a while. I've got the bench in front of me and I hang onto the back of the chair with one hand.

The height of the stool somewhat simulates the height of leg movement that pedalling a bike takes. I've thought about ordering some proper equipment but I'm hoping the need for indoor exercise will only be temporary.

I live in a bungalow, so no stairs. I could use the front or back door steps I suppose but they aren't very high and Mrs mart would never know if I was coming or going.

that made me chuckle.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

12-04-2020, 08:54 PM

I'll bet the neighbours wonder what's going on in the garage. Clumping vigorously up and gown on that stool while panting away is quite noisy.

3 times a day for 5 minutes is about all I can stand for now. It's quite boring compared to being out walking or cycling but it will have to do.

It must be doing some good because I can feel that my leg muscles are a bit painful.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2020, 04:30 AM

Resurrecting this thread because all the trails and beaches are open after months of lockdown, I have survived yet another broken toe, and because I have been cooking like an Italian grandmother, I have a fair amount to do to get back in shape. There is way too much of me on the planet, right now.

I am trying two things. The first is no walking. If I slow to a walk, then I am done for the day. This will keep my lazy brain from doing anything but - run.

The second is something I have always avoided - speedework*. The literature says that 30 second bursts uphill are the very best training practice for improving speed, which for me, right now, is the speed of a solid,

I accidentally typed "spadework." For the sake of the thread, I corrected it, but let it be known that I avoid spadework, too. .

Page 350 of 370 « First < 250 300 340 348 349 350 351 352 360 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top