Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2019, 06:28 PM

Re: Don't get older or become infirm so need social care …

Originally Posted by Mike1111 ->
Sadly, having spent 8 years of my life visiting my mother in one of these God forsaken places, I think I agree.
I have told HWMO that if I am in need of residential care, to just knock me on the head, put me in a black bin bag and put me outside for the binmen!

Seriously. there is absolutely no way I am ever going into one of those places, I often went with a friend to see her grandmother in a care home when I was younger. It really put me off for life! All I can remember is the fact that everytime we visited, they were all sitting there in armchairs in the sitting room with the television on and no-one to talk to.
They were all lined up along the wall. It was awful to see.

I'm sure it wasn't as bad as it looked but being young, it has stayed in my mind all these years and I have made HWMO promise faithfully that he will care for me at home, even if it costs an arm and leg to have private care come in. I have promised him the same.

It was bad enough when I was taken into hospital with Pneumonia, waking up to find myself in the old people's ward. My first thought was ''what am I doing in the Geriatric ward!!? then it suddenly dawned on me... Oh ruddy hell, I am old and this is the ward they put old people in.

Not a nice feeling when I was still working full-time!!
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2019, 11:01 PM

Shropshiregirl I’m totally alone so if I can’t manage my disabilities at home it will have to be supported living or a care home .
I’ve just been looking at some online yhttps://www.abbeyfield.com/faq/
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2019, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I saw this .
Obviously they are paid so much they don’t need to work a full week .
Hey ho .
At my local surgery they are all in part time.

I think there are seven doctors at my surgery, but only one of them works full time now, so the pharmacist told me.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Shropshiregirl I’m totally alone so if I can’t manage my disabilities at home it will have to be supported living or a care home .
I’ve just been looking at some online yhttps://www.abbeyfield.com/faq/
My Uncle Oliver was an Abeyfield trustee. Being a charity they are non-profit making and I think if someone is lucky enough to get a place in an Abbeyfield home they would be satisfied there. Problem is I am fairly sure that Abbeyfield homes are residential homes - they are not nursing homes, which can make quite a difference.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
My Uncle Oliver was an Abeyfield trustee. Being a charity they are non-profit making and I think if someone is lucky enough to get a place in an Abbeyfield home they would be satisfied there. Problem is I am fairly sure that Abbeyfield homes are residential homes - they are not nursing homes, which can make quite a difference.

I worked in a very nice residential home before I retired Aerolor. Beautiful gardens with a lake, good fresh food with a decent choice of menu every day, lovely staff, and a good manager.
I would sooner end my days there, with friends and people who care, than die alone at home.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top