Join for free
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2020, 11:10 PM

Smart motorways

Driving down the M4 ( once the safest motorway in the U.K. ) this evening in the dark with heavy rain .
The M4 is in the process of being changed into a smart motorway .

We were talking about this .

It’s a recipe for total disaster.

There is no way one could get out of a car before being hit .

How could anyone with more than two brain cells NOT see that ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ive-years.html

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2020, 11:20 PM

Re: Smart motorways

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Driving down the M4 ( once the safest motorway in the U.K. ) this evening in the dark with heavy rain .
The M4 is in the process of being changed into a smart motorway .

We were talking about this .

It’s a recipe for total disaster.

There is no way one could get out of a car before being hit .

How could anyone with more than two brain cells NOT see that ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ive-years.html

I completely agree.

Some bright spark came up with the idea that another lane was needed, but that money could be saved by converting the hard shoulder to an extra lane.

He (I assume it's a he, because the dimmest humans on God's earth are male) was so proud of his genius idea that the possibility of danger due to lack of a hard shoulder never crossed his tiny mind.

I shall here predict that eventually all smart motorways will be restored to those having a hard shoulder,

but not until the requisite number of fatalities has been achieved.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2020, 12:04 AM

So called Smart Motorways are complete madness, I try to avoid going on one if possible.
We have a number of sections around here on the M5 and M42 and there was a programme about them the other night which I found very frightening.

There is a Panorama programme about them on tomorrow night apparently they are subject to a review that will lead to changes but we don't need changes they should be scrapped.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2020, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I completely agree.

Some bright spark came up with the idea that another lane was needed, but that money could be saved by converting the hard shoulder to an extra lane.

He (I assume it's a he, because the dimmest humans on God's earth are male) was so proud of his genius idea that the possibility of danger due to lack of a hard shoulder never crossed his tiny mind.

I shall here predict that eventually all smart motorways will be restored to those having a hard shoulder,

but not until the requisite number of fatalities has been achieved.

Absolutely agree JBR and Muddy.

People with this sort of brainwave need their heads examined.

So now, if we break down, what are we supposed to pull over?
Will they also be taking the emergency phone's away, as it sure won't be safe to use them!

Crazy, mental people given the power to implement these decisions is scary stuff.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2020, 12:10 AM

Hopefully they will ban this nonsense. It's amazing that people are paid lots of money to come up with these crackpot ideas.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2020, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
So called Smart Motorways are complete madness, I try to avoid going on one if possible.
We have a number of sections around here on the M5 and M42 and there was a programme about them the other night which I found very frightening.

There is a Panorama programme about them on tomorrow night apparently they are subject to a review that will lead to changes but we don't need changes they should be scrapped.
I think that the best thing we motorists could do, to avoid harm to ourselves and others, is to voluntarily avoid using the inside lane.

If everyone decided to do this, the dangerous smart motorways would, through our own actions, be restored to safe traditional motorways.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2020, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

They will not scrap this idea until they have wasted vast sums of money changing things first, followed by multiple deaths, then they just might scrap the idea.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

27-01-2020, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Hopefully they will ban this nonsense. It's amazing that people are paid lots of money to come up with these crackpot ideas.

They should never be in the job, Annie.
They are totally bonkers.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2020, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
According to a woman on the programme the other day SMs were introduced by Chris Grayling who was Transport Minister at the time. She blames him for the death of a family member .

Another point that was made was they don't all have the same rules which makes it difficult for even the most experienced driver to understand them.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2020, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
They should never be in the job, Annie.
They are totally bonkers.
The same types have likely planned HS2 and other bonkers ventures. Drinking champagne on a yacht no doubt once they have picked up their massive consultancy fees. Perhaps it's all the same people?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top