Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2020, 01:17 PM

Re: PAYPAL gripe

I reckon a lot of this may be due to recent introduction of 'two-step authentication' security measures by many banks, building societies, card companies etc. They are using your mobile phone number to fulfil their obligations under this new ruling. Many of you will know that a company checks your identity by sending a text to your mobile, which often includes a code, to be used by yourself as a 'double check'.

Others want your mobile number for marketing reasons. The one that really annoys me is when I am asked for my home number, which I haven't used for four years and it is ex-directory anyway. I will never give this out so either use my mobile number for that question or if this doesn't work then I just make a number up. Computer 'he then say yes' – question successfully answered!
biffo
Norfolk UK
biffo is male  biffo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2020, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I just make a number up.
So it's your calls I keep getting
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2020, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by biffo ->
So it's your calls I keep getting
Could be, could be – sorry about that.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2020, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Wot!!...You have an airfryer and loads of other mod' con's..but no mobile phone?...how uncool is that
try eating the contents in a mobile phone , the chips are hard and taste terrible I should have thought
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2020, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
try eating the contents in a mobile phone , the chips are hard and taste terrible I should have thought
LOL...send Me a text from Your airfryer and I'll do My best to reply asap
Baz46

07-03-2020, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
LOL...send Me a text from Your airfryer and I'll do My best to reply asap
That May really is a bit of a joker isn't she!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2020, 03:05 PM

I have a simple PAYG phone which I seldom use, except for this type of thing.

As Judd and Baz have said, most banks, building societies, shopping sites etc now use this as extra security by giving you a security number that only you and they know.

It’s well worth you getting one just so extra protect your monetary dealings.
Baz46

07-03-2020, 05:06 PM

There are loads of deals about, the best kind I find are similar to the one I have with EE. No contract, SIM only, unlimited calls and texts, 250MB of data (not that I need or ever use it), good service for queries if required (real people and very helpful) and all for about £10 a month. For this I have my own iPhone, now about five years' old and use this for all calls. I haven't used my landline for four years now and only have it for the broadband line. That may just be going soon too if I can find a way now there's fibre in this area!

I had a quick look online just now after hearing that giffgaff have refurbished phones with a 12-month warranty. They have all makes and at all prices, with that kind of guarantee it's quite good I reckon.

Failing that a 'hand-me-down' through family perhaps when they upgrade? Then get yourself a SIM card and use PAYG with whatever provider you wish. So many options these days.

https://www.giffgaff.com/mobile-phones/refurbished
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2020, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I have a simple PAYG phone which I seldom use, except for this type of thing.

As Judd and Baz have said, most banks, building societies, shopping sites etc now use this as extra security by giving you a security number that only you and they know.

It’s well worth you getting one just so extra protect your monetary dealings.
Ditto. Ours only comes out to play when we go on a long car journey or the bank has sent us a one-time code; other than that it's switched off.

d00d - PM me your address and you can have my old PAYG phone wot we have just replaced (you pay postage of course). It's sans SIM but you can pick one up at Tesco fairly cheaply I believe. The phone case is a bit sticky because I spilt orange juice on it but, other than that, the phone still works.
Jaded
South yorkshire
Jaded is male  Jaded has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2020, 05:23 PM

These cheapo mobiles are ideal for this . You don’t have to take it anywhere just keep it by the computer if you need it. O2 do a sim that you only top up when it’s needed and only need to make or receive one call every 90 days . I’ve had one 2 1/2 years and still on the first top up lol . Just ring it from the house phone once a month , answer it and hang up ... job done lol

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top