Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2020, 09:35 AM

Re: Is it too soon?

We had a heavy frost last night, glad I still have stuff in pots and I can bung them in the greenhouse overnight.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2020, 10:03 AM

I planted mine three days ago. If they die, they die.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2020, 11:40 AM

I've lost all mine that were planted out in spite of covering them over, but luckily I have some reserves growing in the greenhouse so all isn't yet lost... famous last words.....
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2020, 01:14 AM

This thread takes me back...

Years ago I was proud of my hanging baskets each year. After a week or two of mild weather in late April I decided to take the risk of planting up and hanging out my 18 hanging baskets.

Settled down for the night and watched a movie..After that came the weatherman and forecast a cold night with frost...Oh great!..... spent the next hour bringing the baskets in the kitchen for the night,and it's not a big kitchen!

Then it struck me I had been watching a movie I taped in January....along with the weatherman.
The air was blue the next morning as I hung them all back out again.
As Del Boy would have said..."What a plonker!"

PS....We never did get another frost that year.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2020, 09:11 AM

My runner beans are ok with the exception of 2 at one end of the bed which were taller than the protective mugs, I wish I could say the same for my potatoes which were badly hit although covered.

When I plant out my runner beans I always put a plant and a bean next to the cane, as they grow I can always remove the weakest. I also plant some spare ones in a pot as insurance too .

I think we have one more night of frost to come before it warms up again. We often get the odd frosty night in May but I can't remember 4 or 5 heavy frosts together like this.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2020, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by poohdog ->
This thread takes me back...

Years ago I was proud of my hanging baskets each year. After a week or two of mild weather in late April I decided to take the risk of planting up and hanging out my 18 hanging baskets.

Settled down for the night and watched a movie..After that came the weatherman and forecast a cold night with frost...Oh great!..... spent the next hour bringing the baskets in the kitchen for the night,and it's not a big kitchen!

Then it struck me I had been watching a movie I taped in January....along with the weatherman.
The air was blue the next morning as I hung them all back out again.
As Del Boy would have said..."What a plonker!"

PS....We never did get another frost that year.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

14-05-2020, 10:48 AM

Frosty here this morning.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2020, 11:31 AM

I covered most important things up with fleece and cloches last night because I heard the weather warning.

It's so disheartening when we get these late frosts just when everything begins to look promising.
It's a pain too, to keep covering up at night and removing it all in the morning, only to do the same again a few hours later!

Luckily my tomato plants are still small enough to keep indoors for a short time longer, but they will have to move on soon now.
Button
NW England
Button is female  Button has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2020, 08:19 PM

They're going out this weekend and I'll just have to hope for the best!
Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2020, 08:28 PM

The old country sayings are often right, this one for instance – 'ne’er cast a clout till may be out'
is an old May saying, explained on the link below:

https://tree2mydoor.com/blogs/conten...-clout-sayings

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top