Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 06:38 PM

Re: Tory distractions to hard Brexit

Originally Posted by Glanny ->
Ahh yes, the use and abuse of statistics! How many people in the survey were from the East or West coast, high fliers in NY for example? Or were they all pulled from the middle bible belt creationist believers?! See, I can do sweeping statements too!

Looking at that list I would take those results with a very large pinch of salt.

Must ask the US rellies with Oxford degrees if they were included in this survey!
Have you considered the meaning of "average" in mathematics and statistics? Like the average IQ of....
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Indeed. Therefore I had to study in the netherlands. No such thing as the university of paramaribo.
Like obama with his IQ of 146.

That'll be down to his Irish ancestry
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 06:54 PM

Have you considered the meaning of "average" in mathematics and statistics? Like the average IQ of....

Yes indeed, so what "average people" did they get to fill in the survey? Like I said, the use and abuse of statistics. You can get any survey to say whatever you like as any politician knows!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 07:02 PM

Yes indeed, so what "average people" did they get to fill in the survey? Like I said, the use and abuse of statistics. You can get any survey to say whatever you like as any politician knows!
I thought so. Glanny, for an average IQ you do not test average people from a country. You take the average of all, or otherwise from a representative sample.
However, this averaging calculation has nothing whatsoever to do with a survey. It's just that, a calculation. It's not about opinions, but about verifiable facts. Mistaking opinions for facts is something brexiters are notorious for, like you show here.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

14-06-2020, 07:05 PM

That'll be down to his Irish ancestry
To get at an average of 92 for all irish, there must be a lot of irish with an IQ way below 92 to balance his 146.
Glanny
N.Ireland

14-06-2020, 07:07 PM

I thought so. Glanny, for an average IQ you do not test average people from a country. You take the average of all, or otherwise from a representative sample.
However, this averaging calculation has nothing whatsoever to do with a survey. It's just that, a calculation. It's not about opinions, but about verifiable facts. Mistaking opinions for facts is something brexiters are notorious for, like you show here.

But don't you see what you are saying here?!
Glanny
N.Ireland

14-06-2020, 07:08 PM

Anyway, I have to go, dinner is already late!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

14-06-2020, 07:12 PM

Anyway, I have to go, dinner is already late!
Bon apetit! I call that a strategic retreat
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2020, 03:31 PM

Lies, damned lies, and statistics - that well known old chestnut.

Nothing can be really gained by just quoting an average. An average, as Glanny said is rather meaningless without describing the variations (the standard deviations, usually ±3SD) around the mean. This only works for a standard distribution of data points, but what if the IQ test results are not standard distributions but one that has a long tail on one side and a short, but heavy-weight bump on the other side of the mean? In that case, Solasch's proclamation of "Have you considered the meaning of "average" in mathematics and statistics? Like the average IQ of...." really is pointless because one is quoting an "average" or a "mean" in isolation. It has to be qualified by it's position in the data distribution and the variance around it.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2020, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Lies, damned lies, and statistics - that well known old chestnut.

Nothing can be really gained by just quoting an average. An average, as Glanny said is rather meaningless without describing the variations (the standard deviations, usually ±3SD) around the mean. This only works for a standard distribution of data points, but what if the IQ test results are not standard distributions but one that has a long tail on one side and a short, but heavy-weight bump on the other side of the mean? In that case, Solasch's proclamation of "Have you considered the meaning of "average" in mathematics and statistics? Like the average IQ of...." really is pointless because one is quoting an "average" or a "mean" in isolation. It has to be qualified by it's position in the data distribution and the variance around it.

When it comes to IQ levels, averages don't matter when people like Solasch have to keep telling us how intelligent they are

It kind of gives the game away

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top