Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 07:55 AM

Here Comes More No Take Zones ...

just like I said ...

Ban the factory ships and increase no take zones to preserve fish stocks (and keep foreign vessels out of our territorial waters)

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/12...and-greenpeace
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 09:35 AM

Re: Here Comes More No Take Zones ...

Originally Posted by Bread ->
just like I said ...

Ban the factory ships and increase no take zones to preserve fish stocks (and keep foreign vessels out of our territorial waters)

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/12...and-greenpeace
Yes Bread! I saw that also, they are obviously out to get as much as
they can while they can?
Absolutely no regard for conservation whatever!!
I only hope the government has the backbone to do whats needed
when the time comes??
Present events dont give much hope though!!

Donkeyman! 👎😟👎
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Yes Bread! I saw that also, they are obviously out to get as much as
they can while they can?
Absolutely no regard for conservation whatever!!
I only hope the government has the backbone to do whats needed
when the time comes??
Present events dont give much hope though!!

Donkeyman! 👎😟👎
Well, the EU have all but given up on the "level playing field" and they have been told over and over again that they will not have any continuation of the CFP so I really can't see them getting anywhere unless Barnier get's sidelined or throws out fishing from the negotiations.

Either way, if fishing is not included, any trade deal will most likely be vetoed by France, Denmark, Netherlands so in order for this to be avoided, the EU needs to either :

1. Leave with no deal - not acceptable for Germany
2. Ratify the deal with the UK by removing national vetoes.
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 10:20 AM

Either way, if fishing is not included, any trade deal will most likely be vetoed by France, Denmark, Netherlands so in order for this to be avoided, the EU needs to either :

1. Leave with no deal - not acceptable for Germany
2. Ratify the deal with the UK by removing national vetoes.
I guess that it will be impossible to sideline M. Barnier as he has the mandate of all members. But if someone really manages to do so, then it is definetly time to leave the EU. I do not see that happening...

What makes You think that option #1 is not acceptable for us? Did our government say so?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

11-06-2020, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by 7779311 ->
I guess that it will be impossible to sideline M. Barnier as he has the mandate of all members. But if someone really manages to do so, then it is definetly time to leave the EU. I do not see that happening...

What makes You think that option #1 is not acceptable for us? Did our government say so?
Which government ? EU or Germany - although they are pretty much one and the same now. Merkel has already sidelined Barnier, she is dealing directly with the UK at the end of the month with Ursula Von Der Leyen. There's a lot of noise coming from the EU about the trade deal needing to be negotiated by end October as well (not 1st July anymore funnily enough). The reason, because Merkel takes up her Presidency in the EU in October, meaning that at that time there will be not only Merkel in charge (a German), Ursula Von Der Leyen (another German) in charge but also the EU commission which has a majority of ... Germans !

Barnier's already changed his mandate by dropping the "level playing field" (as widely reported yesterday) so is already failing on his mandate. Although the member states can create an almighty fuss about it, the EU Commission is just a glorified civil service and have no accountability to the public - they don't care about business, only politics. I mean, its not as if you can vote them out, or even vote for an opposition, because as you may have noticed there isn't one. There isn't even a Senate in the EU

Merkel wants to sell her cars and Germany holds the EU together. There is no way Merkel will jeopardise the sale of 800,000 German cars into her second biggest market in the world over fishing.

The EU used QMV over the voting for Singapores trade deal, remember, national vetoes were not allowed. I'm pretty sure the same will happen here, so that means the majority of countries who don't give a toss about fishing will throw France, Netherlands, Denmark etc "under the bus" with Germany gaining more control over them as the even bigger economy and the even bigger provider to the EU Project.

Barnier is just a clown and a fall guy. He has failed on everything up to now. The UK should only be negotiating with elected leaders, the commission is an incompetent sideshow.
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 11:06 AM

Which government ? EU or Germany - although they are pretty much one and the same now. Merkel has already sidelined Barnier, she is dealing directly with the UK at the end of the month with Ursula Von Der Leyen. There's a lot of noise coming from the EU about the trade deal needing to be negotiated by end October as well (not 1st July anymore funnily enough). The reason, because Merkel takes up her Presidency in the EU in October, meaning that at that time there will be not only Merkel in charge (a German), Ursula Von Der Leyen (another German) in charge but also the EU commission which has a majority of ... Germans !

Barnier's already changed his mandate by dropping the "level playing field" (as widely reported yesterday) so is already failing on his mandate. Although the member states can create an almighty fuss about it, the EU Commission is just a glorified civil service and have no accountability to the public - they don't care about business, only politics. I mean, its not as if you can vote them out, or even vote for an opposition, because as you may have noticed there isn't one. There isn't even a Senate in the EU

Merkel wants to sell her cars and Germany holds the EU together. There is no way Merkel will jeopardise the sale of 800,000 German cars into her second biggest market in the world over fishing.

The EU used QMV over the voting for Singapores trade deal, remember, national vetoes were not allowed. I'm pretty sure the same will happen here, so that means the majority of countries who don't give a toss about fishing will throw France, Netherlands, Denmark etc "under the bus" with Germany gaining more control over them as the even bigger economy and the even bigger provider to the EU Project.

Barnier is just a clown and a fall guy. He has failed on everything up to now. The UK should only be negotiating with elected leaders, the commission is an incompetent sideshow.
Somehow I must have missed the news about M. Barnier dropping the "level playing field" part of the mandate. Can You kindly share the source(s) of Your information for me please? Thank You

About Merkel and v.d.L: chosing vdL without election was a no-go. Considering her (non-)performance as a secretary of military was a slap in the face.

Besides that don't worry, Merkel will have no decision power in the trade agreements.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

11-06-2020, 11:33 AM

Somehow I must have missed the news about M. Barnier dropping the "level playing field" part of the mandate. Can You kindly share the source(s) of Your information for me please? Thank You

About Merkel and v.d.L: chosing vdL without election was a no-go. Considering her (non-)performance as a secretary of military was a slap in the face.

Besides that don't worry, Merkel will have no decision power in the trade agreements.
There was a link posted on here to Barnier backtracking - have a look through the threads, I think old Grey Fox posted it.

If Merkel can choose VDL who wasn't even a candidate on the ballot, never mind elected, you can bet your life she will decide the trade deal.

She sidelined Timmermans so she will sideline Barnier in a heart beat.
Germany

11-06-2020, 01:58 PM

There was a link posted on here to Barnier backtracking - have a look through the threads, I think old Grey Fox posted it.

If Merkel can choose VDL who wasn't even a candidate on the ballot, never mind elected, you can bet your life she will decide the trade deal.

She sidelined Timmermans so she will sideline Barnier in a heart beat.
Maybe You meant this URL: https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/12...no-deal-brexit

posted by Cinderella. In that text there is no indication whatsoever of M. Barnier giving up on the "level playing field".

Some quotes for my assumption:

Barnier: “There is no need to change or adjust the EU mandate, we can find the necessary compromise on the condition that the UK changes its approach and accepts appropriate balances of rights, benefits and obligations and legally binding constraints based on the back of the agreed Political Declaration of last October."

UK: "Downing Street is ready to start talks on the so-called “level-playing field” on the basis of the EU’s trade deal with Canada."

There seems not to be big change in the EUs negotiating strategy. In case I don't see (read) it, maybe You can point my nose to the specific text.

Best regards
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

11-06-2020, 02:17 PM

Maybe You meant this URL: https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/12...no-deal-brexit

posted by Cinderella. In that text there is no indication whatsoever of M. Barnier giving up on the "level playing field".

Some quotes for my assumption:

Barnier: “There is no need to change or adjust the EU mandate, we can find the necessary compromise on the condition that the UK changes its approach and accepts appropriate balances of rights, benefits and obligations and legally binding constraints based on the back of the agreed Political Declaration of last October."

UK: "Downing Street is ready to start talks on the so-called “level-playing field” on the basis of the EU’s trade deal with Canada."

There seems not to be big change in the EUs negotiating strategy. In case I don't see (read) it, maybe You can point my nose to the specific text.

Best regards

Barnier is caving in, he's on a losing battle and he knows it. The level playing field is what we voted to leave, but he knows the UK would put the EU at a serious competitive disadvantage. If he continues he risks losing everything we are offering in our legal texts we have already provided.

The EU deal with canada (or anyone else) has no level playing field and Canada didn't have to hand over its sovereign waters. We won't be either and Barnier is starting to realise he has no chance if us signing up to that kind of ridiculous nonsense.

No cherries remember !
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 02:30 PM

Elsewhere in the brexit section of this forum there is a thread about japan-EU deal. And guess what? The deal has a whole section (section D) about anti-dumping and countervailing measures. That is for british understanding rephrased as level playing field in the future EU-UK deal.
And dispute settling in that deal with japan? Of course the European Court of Justice

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top