Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2020, 01:22 AM

Coronavirus: Daily Downing Street press conference scrapped

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53155905

The daily Downing Street press conference on coronavirus has been stopped, the government has announced. It comes as the PM announced an easing of the lockdown in England. From now on televised briefings will be given on an "ad hoc" basis to "coincide with significant announcements," Downing Street said.

Boris Johnson led the final regular briefing, flanked by chief advisers Chris Whitty and Sir Patrick Vallance.

There have been 92 briefings, and two national addresses by the prime minister. The daily briefings started on 16 March, following criticism of a lack of transparency over government plans to stem the spread of the virus.

At the time, the UK death toll from Covid-19 stood at 55 and the government had yet to introduce lockdown measures.

The total number of deaths currently stands at 42,927.
Health Secretary Matt Hancock led the most daily briefings, with 26 appearances, followed by Mr Johnson on 16. Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab - who filled in for Mr Johnson when he was in hospital with coronavirus - led 12 briefings, with Business Secretary Alok Sharma and Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick hosting six each.

Chancellor Rishi Sunak led five briefings - the same number as Transport Secretary Grant Shapps. Cabinet Secretary Michael Gove, Environment Secretary George Eustice, Education Secretary Gavin Williamson and Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden appeared a handful of times each. Home Secretary Priti Patel was the only female minister to take a turn at the podium, with a mere three appearances.

In recent weeks, ministers have increasingly been appearing on their own, without scientific or medical advisers.
AFAIK, most people have become increasingly underwhelmed by the presentations so the "briefings" won't be missed. I never watched one so I can't pass any other comment.

What I found interesting though was that of the Four Great Offices of State, only 2 holders managed a dozen or more appearances - the Prime Minister with 16 (despite being waylaid by COVID-19 and the Foreign Secretary (the PM's deputy) with 12.

The Chancellor of the Exchequer managed 5 but the Home Secretary scraped in with 3.

The latter was easily beaten by the Health Secretary (inevitably), with 26, and also by the Transport Secretary, the Cabinet Secretary, the Environment Secretary, the Education Secretary and the Culture Secretary to register the least number of appearances by a Cabinet Minister.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2020, 08:28 AM

Re: Coronavirus: Daily Downing Street press conference scrapped

Hi

Pleased they have been scrapped, less being lied to.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2020, 09:14 PM

Not a moment too soon imo?

Donkeyman! 👎😁👎
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by donkeyman ->
not a moment too soon imo?

Donkeyman! 👎😁👎
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2020, 10:33 AM

It is a a big mistake scrapping the daily briefings which after the initial ones requiring government statements covering financial aspects of the pandemic should have become medical/scientific briefings along the lines of those we had during the Foot and mouth outbreak.

Why do I say this...
I believe the scrapping of the daily briefings has helped to lead to complacency among parts of the population and that there should be short daily briefings before the news informing on things like the R rating in various areas, what to do if your area is put into lockdown and areas causing concern.
This may also help with the 'track and trace' alerting people who may have been in an area of concern that day.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2020, 08:18 PM

I don't watch it but I'm sure I caught a glimpse today whist channel hopping.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2020, 11:54 PM

People were asking too many awkward questions and they were running out of creative answers
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 02:38 PM

UK government plans to hold daily White House-style televised press briefings

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53275395

The new format, similar to that used by the White House in the United States, is expected to come in by October.

Asked whether we would himself appear every day, the PM said this was "not the plan" but he would be "popping up from time to time".

A government spokesman said work would begin shortly on adapting 9 Downing Street, which will be used for the briefings. In recent years, this building has been used by the chief whip and the Brexit secretary.

It is understood an experienced broadcaster will be recruited to host the question-and-answer sessions. Nobody has been recruited yet to host the briefings and asked about reports that former This Morning host Richard Madeley was being considered, the spokesman said that was "news to me".
This sounds like a Cummings idea - all those currently accountable to Parliament (ministers) and those accountable to government (civil servants, scientific experts) will be replaced by a professional "mouthpiece" .....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2020, 09:30 PM

Then just when you thought it was safe to turn on the news...It's back! It should carry one of those PG warnings. "caution the following broadcast may contain verbosity, platitudes, inappropriate food metaphors and violent baton movements."

It was quite funny tonight where he passed the cricket and yard of ale questions to Chris Whitty. I mean talk about insulting his intelligence with such nonsense.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top