Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 10:38 AM

Re: Help needed for my suv

Some modern vehicles have a definite start procedure. Often involving pressing the brake pedal. It's a safety feature. Maybe check the handbook or an online owners forum.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
Some modern vehicles have a definite start procedure. Often involving pressing the brake pedal. It's a safety feature. Maybe check the handbook or an online owners forum.
Good point.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 01:36 PM

Seems to ring a bell, but I had mine years ago when they first came out and too many 4x4 and crossovers to remember
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 02:16 PM

Some good suggestions posted above.

Never thought of pressing on the brake while attempting to start it.

Will also try slamming the gear shift into park.

I just ordered a Chilton's repair manual for the 4 runner from Amazon.

Clearly, there is a power failure at some point in the complex "start engine" system.

PS: I bought the used Toyota 4 runner from a private party. So, there is no warranty of any kind.
sparky
cheshire
sparky is male  sparky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->

Clearly, there is a power failure at some point in the complex "start engine" system.

PS: I bought the used Toyota 4 runner from a private party. So, there is no warranty of any kind.
What is the exact make and model, I'll see what I can find out for you, I know a few mechanics and being an electrician reading a wiring diagram is no problem for me.
sparky
cheshire
sparky is male  sparky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 02:23 PM

have a look at this, assuming you have ignition lights this may be the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPZ9NYfGdLc
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 02:37 PM

On my VW Golf the clutch has to be depressed while starting the engine, a safety device to prevent starting a car in gear with what could be disastrous results! Made no difference to me as my army driver father taught me never to rely on just the handbrake, always leave a vehicle in gear too so it would be started while in gear but depressing the clutch. Also useful in winter when the handbrake cable can freeze is leaving that off but the car in gear prevents that happening.
sparky
cheshire

25-06-2020, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
On my VW Golf the clutch has to be depressed while starting the engine, a safety device to prevent starting a car in gear with what could be disastrous results! Made no difference to me as my army driver father taught me never to rely on just the handbrake, always leave a vehicle in gear too. Also useful in winter when the handbrake cable can freeze is leaving that off but the car in gear prevents that happening.
not only the advantages you stated, but also stops it going anywhere if the handbrake cable snaps, they don't teach the young un's proper driving techniques today. nowadays apparently they don't like you changing gears to slow down as clutches are expensive, just use the brakes, yeah right, good luck with that in winter, perhaps that's why there are more accidents involving younger people, they are not taught to handle a vehicle properly.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->

I've only just got back online or I would have posted this before. I see you've ordered a manual but it's here for free and might help you to get it sorted earlier and if so return the one you've ordered. In my experience almost everything is on YouTube so best to check on there first.

An example of this was the battery in my VW Golf key fob needed replacement, it would have been a 'dealer' job except for finding it on YouTube – £2.40 for two batteries, only one needed but one saved for the spare key fob if and when that ran out. Compare that to £100 an hour at the dealers. Minimum no doubt of six minutes as they charge in increments of ten so probably £10 plus the cost of the battery no doubt.

https://ownermanual.co/cars/toyota/the-toyota-4runner/
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 03:53 PM

It seems to be a common problem with this vehicle and a quick Google should bring up some results. i did find a forum that was discussing the same thing but we are not allowed to post links to other forums.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top