Join for free
Page 12 of 36 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 > Last »
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 08:26 PM

Re: Energy: SMART Meters

Phone rang at 7.45pm. I don't answer it if I don't know who it is. I wait till the a/phone kicks in and if it's a friend, I pick up.

Anyway, the a/phone kicked in and the caller put the phone down. Did 1471 and Googled the number - it was, Eon.

Wonder if anyone has sued these bloomin' energy suppliers for harassment
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Phone rang at 7.45pm. I don't answer it if I don't know who it is. I wait till the a/phone kicks in and if it's a friend, I pick up.

Anyway, the a/phone kicked in and the caller put the phone down. Did 1471 and Googled the number - it was, Eon.

Wonder if anyone has sued these bloomin' energy suppliers for harassment
Answer the phone Pesta and take a name, they don't usually like to give their name and take the responsibility, it becomes personal then and their job is on the line.......And you know who to send the solicitors letter to.....
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Answer the phone Pesta and take a name, they don't usually like to give their name and take the responsibility, it becomes personal then and their job is on the line.......And you know who to send the solicitors letter to.....
... one has to pay for a solicitor or I would
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
... one has to pay for a solicitor or I would
No no no Pesta........It's a bluff......
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 04:47 PM

Smart meter ?? no idea , but we have today had a new meter installed,
no chance of saying No. Now we do not have to read the meter its done automatically and sent to the suppliers they generate the bill and its paid by DD , all we do is say yes pay it on such and such date . We can check the meter anyway to see that it corresponds with the bill.No doubt somewhere along the line we will have to pay for it in some way or another
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
Smart meter ?? no idea , but we have today had a new meter installed,
no chance of saying No.
You were conned io.

No-one has to accept a new meter at their property. In fact you can refuse entry to your property to any engineer. You energy supplier may well throw their dummy out of the pram if you do and cut you off, but it remains your choice at all times.

I would have simply refused their entry to your property and changed supplier.

If your new meter is small and round then it's a smart meter. If so, you have my sympathy. You should ascertain whether it has 3G connectivity and if so put a Faraday cage around it to protect yourself and any family from the constant radiation it will emit (like having a mobile phone mast strapped to your house).

You can make a Faraday cage very simply using Faraday mesh which you can easily buy online. Just Google "Smart Meter Faraday Cage" for all sorts of info on this.

The "You have no choice" line is a pushy bully boy tactic being used by various suppliers but it is entirely illegal and untrue. British Gas have already been fined a considerable sum of money for fraudulently telling customers that new meters are mandatory.

Stand up for your rights.

If you do have a smart meter now, consider asking other suppliers if they would put back the old style meter if you swap to them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 10:31 PM

Don't know if this is any use or rubbish?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Smar...iation-shield/
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 10:46 PM

Smart meters were being discussed on the radio yesterday. Apparently the 'first generation' all those installed to date will have to be replaced because the software they use will be obsolete in a couple of years time. They already have an inbuilt problem in that the data collected by them can only be sent to the power supplier who installed so if a customer changes supplier they don't work and it is too expensive to modify them them.

The second generation of meters are still being tested and won't be ready for installation till the middle of next year yet the power companies are still installing the ones which will soon be obsolete. Madness.

We are all going to have to pay for this mess up in our bills.
I won't be having one installed, my meter box is outside and if need be I will fit a padlock on the box so it can't be accessed .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Smart meters were being discussed on the radio yesterday. Apparently the 'first generation' all those installed to date will have to be replaced because the software they use will be obsolete in a couple of years time. They already have an inbuilt problem in that the data collected by them can only be sent to the power supplier who installed so if a customer changes supplier they don't work and it is too expensive to modify them them.

The second generation of meters are still being tested and won't be ready for installation till the middle of next year yet the power companies are still installing the ones which will soon be obsolete. Madness.

We are all going to have to pay for this mess up in our bills.
I won't be having one installed, my meter box is outside and if need be I will fit a padlock on the box so it can't be accessed

I've rarely heard anything so ridiculous Meg!
Installing ones that they know won't work for long!

Damn good idea to padlock the box, I think I will be doing that too, because my electric meter is on the outside wall so they can easily access it They can't get to the gas meter so easily though, because there is a padlocked gate to get through first.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Damn good idea to padlock the box,
Not sure if that will breach your contract with your supplier so be careful. There is surely a clause in the contract that says their engineers must be able to come and make a reading.

Put an A4 laminated sign inside the box that says:

"ATTENTION

Under no circumstances must a Smart Meter be installed
at this address without the express permission of [insert your name]. Any attempt to do so will result in legal action being taken"

Page 12 of 36 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top