Join for free
Page 3 of 239 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 > Last »
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2014, 11:36 AM

Re: The Pages of Punch

1865: Caught in the Middle

The cartoonist did not think it necessary to spell out what was troubling the young unmarried doctor who would undoubtedly know that he is a desirable ‘catch’. Both young ladies are insisting that he should share her hymnbook. What can he do? He can’t share with both of them. He knows very well that while he can please one he will annoy the other, and more importantly her mama. Which mama is the more influential in the neighbourhood? It rather looks as though he is steadfastly looking at neither. That won’t help him. Now he is going to annoy both mamas.

He should have made sure that he had got hold of a hymnbook before entering his pew.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2014, 10:57 AM

1865: The Advantage of a Sunday Toy

Mr Cantwell is giving sound advice. The ark won’t have to be put away in the toy cupboard on a Sunday.

This kind of thing lingered on for a long time. I remember on holiday seeing swings chained up in a municipal playground on a Sunday. This would have been in the 1970s in either Devon, Cornwall or Dorset.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2014, 12:19 PM

I've just spent an interesting few minutes reading these Mr Magoo,My favorite was The lady cyclist and the reply she got,,it was my first LOL of the day .Thanks for posting them ..
Mr Magoo
London

15-11-2014, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
I've just spent an interesting few minutes reading these Mr Magoo,My favorite was The lady cyclist and the reply she got,,it was my first LOL of the day .Thanks for posting them ..
Thank you, Eliza. I'm glad you like it. It's nice to be appreciated!
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2014, 02:04 PM

Mr Magoo I also enjoy them; I also find the social history behind the cartoons very interesting.
Mr Magoo
London

16-11-2014, 11:24 AM

1925: Cynical View of the Medical Profession

A hundred pounds must have been a huge amount of money in 1925.

I was under the impression that professional men (it was men then) always submitted their accounts in guineas.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2014, 09:18 PM

These are wonderful, Mr Magoo, thank you so much for sharing them with us !
Mr Magoo
London

17-11-2014, 11:33 AM

1925: Times have changed but the language hasn’t

The clothes worn by the ladies are not at all Victorian but the language used by the female onlooker is still very Victorian. The less judgmental comment of her husband gives her the punch line of the joke. The term ‘woman with a past’ does not properly describe what she intended to mean. It was the nearest polite expression to what was really in her mind.
Mr Magoo
London

18-11-2014, 11:28 AM

1925: Out of the mouths of babes...

This joke belongs to a well-established tradition in which children innocently repeat with embarrassing results what their parents have said in confidence.

I would think that there is much less scope today for such humour – small children seem much more knowing. Perhaps this is because of all the television that they are watching.
Mr Magoo
London

19-11-2014, 11:05 AM

1890: A Political Cartoon

Punch is also famous for its political cartoons which sometimes assumed the importance of a leading article in The Times. Dropping the Pilot is probably the most celebrated.

Bismarck had been the architect of German unity. Before the unification there had been quite a number of German sovereign states: a few relatively large and many small. In 1871 he had united them all (with the exception of Austria) into a new state of Germany and the kings of Prussia had become German Emperors.

By 1890 a new Emperor, Wilhelm, no longer accepted Bismarck as the man behind the scenes. Wilhelm was determined to run Germany without the advice of the Iron Chancellor. The cartoon shows Bismarck departing with dignity while the young emperor looks on. The ex-chancellor shows signs of his age: he needs both hands to steady himself while walking down the steps to a waiting boat. The young emperor in military uniform with his crown on his head looks on enigmatically.

As Queen Victoria’s oldest grandson Wilhelm attracted a great deal of attention in Britain and at that time not at all hostile. It is by no means clear that this cartoon is criticising the Kaiser. But the future of Germany is certainly being viewed with great interest.

As well it might have been.

Page 3 of 239 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top