Join for free
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 07:25 PM

Re: Anyone else have (or had) side-effects from statin use?

I used them for several years (Simvastatin) it slowly dawned on me they were giving me pain. I was on a cocktail of drugs at the time so it was only through reading about the side effects that i had in common with other sufferers that i decided to stop them.

I believe they have caused damage to my joints, but felt better fairly quickly after stopping them, my GP tried to persuade me to try other versions but i held out and in the end stopped all medication i was taking for my health problems, 3 years down the line and im still around. Risky but im glad i made the choice, my faith in the NHS has diminished with contact over time.
BoyRacer
Scotland,UK
BoyRacer is male  BoyRacer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 07:27 PM

This is an interesting thread.

I'm not on statins yet, but given the family history on my dads side, it's very likely I will be. Sounds like I have something to look forward to - not!

Of course there is constant talk of putting everyone over 50 on statins
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 07:56 PM

I don't take them now, but had muscle aches.

My partner takes them. He is plagued by nightmares. He decided to cut the dose and the nightmares have stopped. He couldn't understand why he was having these dreams and thought maybe cutting down statins might make a difference. It did. Like every medication, of course it will come with side effects.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 09:27 PM

I was on them and got tiny, very painful cramps in my muscles, I'm convinced it started off the fybromyalgia I now have.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 09:43 PM

Great replies so far, thanks everyone.

Another interesting thing I read about statins is they can increase the risk of developing type 2 diabetes. That's worrisome to me, as diabetes runs in our family. My mother died of diabetes complications and I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant. So that puts me at double risk.

It actually took my doctor a couple of years to talk me into even taking the things (I have pill paranoia) but I finally caved and started taking them and a little over a month later, here I am with muscle weakness, horrible fatigue and my appetite is shot because of the nausea. For dinner tonight I had a dose of Pepto Bismol.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I was on them and got tiny, very painful cramps in my muscles, I'm convinced it started off the fybromyalgia I now have.

Oh dear, feel for you Twiz. Fibromyalga is not a nice thing to deal with
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 10:19 PM

I couldn't tolerate them either made me feel ill...that was years ago.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 10:22 PM

Thanks Alice, I have arthritis and tummy trouble too so need more hugs please!
Plus I'm a bit nuts!
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
In September, my doctor put me on Lipitor for high cholesterol. The last couple of weeks I've had muscle weakness in my arms and especially my legs. Some days I have to force myself to walk across the room. As of today, I'm stopping them. I can't go on like this anymore. And lately I've just felt like crap in general, including loss of appetite.
And have you been back to your GP and told him?

There are alternatives you can be prescribed.

So I was wondering if anyone else here has had negative effects from statins.....
No, I have been on statins for six years with no significant negative effects.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2014, 09:45 AM

They keep trying to put me on them I refuse every time take enough other meds I don't need something else in the mix, also when they talk about my cholesterol they don't seem to understand some cholesterol is fine and some isn't, my good cholesterol is far higher than my bad something they ignore.

My husband took them for about 8 months during which time his good cholesterol went down and his bad cholesterol stayed the same, he had cramp in his legs, couldn't sleep properly and started having night terrors. Really scares me they are allowed to bandy these drugs around like they are sweeties while denying they cause such awful side effects.

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top