Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
greg
nottingham-Derby Border
greg is male  greg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 07:59 PM

Re: New dentures - getting used to

Originally Posted by Honey ->
I'm told you need to give them time to bed in which is why they say to persevere and wear them for as long as you can, not easy when you're in pain though
they told me to sleep in them.
never again,i still have chunks missing from tongue at the back..

have to hope i win lottery so i can get those screw in type as i cant see myself ever getting used to nhs bricks.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 09:44 PM

I kept biting a piece of my cheek when I tried them in.

It is suggested that you recite the numbers 65 to 70.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2014, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->

i wont be saying much Carol next week ,probably nodding a lot and humming and ahing :lol:
Bet you do!!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2014, 04:30 AM

Dear Jazzi

So sorry to hear of your discomfort with your new dentures. If you take the time to scroll back, I put a thread on here a couple of years ago called Teeth, and I had many responses to it, and there have been other topics about this since.

My situation was far from being the same as yours though, as I have suffered no pain whatsoever, and nor should you.

I'm no expert, but it sounds to me like those dentures are not a perfect fit and are perhaps rubbing against your gums. That is not normal and you shouldn't have to get used to that.

My dentist was absolutely brilliant and, although I still hate the fact that I've been reduced to having to wear dentures from contracting a gum infection, at least I know they're as close to my original teeth as they could be having given my dentist a photo of me with my real ones.

Greg: If you need to wear dentures now, the probability is that your gums have receded, which means that screw-in teeth would not be a possibility, because the gum reduces back to the bone due to the ageing process, so would have little left for new teeth to be screwed into, but it does depend on why you lost your teeth. If your gums are still good, then go for it, if you can afford it.

As to eating, very few people I know who have dentures can bite into an apple. I have to cut up meat very small in order to eat comfortably, but for the most time, I eat pretty softish food or I adapt to suit eating, but it's not easy some of the time.

As to speaking, yes it does take a while to formulate certain words, especially with the letter "s", but I got over that within a week or so.

I do sleep in mine and only take them out when they need cleaning and re-gluing, which can be every few days. I know it's a nuisance but hey, it has to be done.

I have to wear mine every day and can't go without because I still work, so going to work without teeth is not an option but, if you can go without for a period of time without feeling embarrassed, I'm sure that would be a good thing.

However, (sorry folks, I do bang on), having said all of this, if you are in pain, then you absolutely must go back to your dentist to get him/her to fix whatever problem there is, as you should most definitely not be in pain with dentures.

They'll never feel like your own, but they should be comfortable if they have been measured and fitted correctly. You've paid for this treatment and if it isn't right, demand that it be put right until you're happy with them.

Good luck lass.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2014, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Dear Jazzi

So sorry to hear of your discomfort with your new dentures. If you take the time to scroll back, I put a thread on here a couple of years ago called Teeth, and I had many responses to it, and there have been other topics about this since.

My situation was far from being the same as yours though, as I have suffered no pain whatsoever, and nor should you.

I'm no expert, but it sounds to me like those dentures are not a perfect fit and are perhaps rubbing against your gums. That is not normal and you shouldn't have to get used to that.

My dentist was absolutely brilliant and, although I still hate the fact that I've been reduced to having to wear dentures from contracting a gum infection, at least I know they're as close to my original teeth as they could be having given my dentist a photo of me with my real ones.

Greg: If you need to wear dentures now, the probability is that your gums have receded, which means that screw-in teeth would not be a possibility, because the gum reduces back to the bone due to the ageing process, so would have little left for new teeth to be screwed into, but it does depend on why you lost your teeth. If your gums are still good, then go for it, if you can afford it.

As to eating, very few people I know who have dentures can bite into an apple. I have to cut up meat very small in order to eat comfortably, but for the most time, I eat pretty softish food or I adapt to suit eating, but it's not easy some of the time.

As to speaking, yes it does take a while to formulate certain words, especially with the letter "s", but I got over that within a week or so.

I do sleep in mine and only take them out when they need cleaning and re-gluing, which can be every few days. I know it's a nuisance but hey, it has to be done.

I have to wear mine every day and can't go without because I still work, so going to work without teeth is not an option but, if you can go without for a period of time without feeling embarrassed, I'm sure that would be a good thing.

However, (sorry folks, I do bang on), having said all of this, if you are in pain, then you absolutely must go back to your dentist to get him/her to fix whatever problem there is, as you should most definitely not be in pain with dentures.

They'll never feel like your own, but they should be comfortable if they have been measured and fitted correctly. You've paid for this treatment and if it isn't right, demand that it be put right until you're happy with them.

Good luck lass.
Thanks mollie.

He did say I could go back at any time but iit's finding the time! I am now busy again next week, and away the week after. I will try them again this weekend but if they still hurt then that's it: I don't want to know.

He swears I don't have an infection yet I am in pain constantly in my mouth, face and head and he puts it down to neuralgia. And there was me thinking I had something more serious.

Past experience tells me I will wait months for the dental hospital referral, then he will (or won't, as last time) refer me to a colleague to sort out the pain. So yes, this has been going on for some years.

(I didn't go to the dentist for sometime, until recently.)
greg
nottingham-Derby Border
greg is male  greg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2014, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I kept biting a piece of my cheek when I tried them in.

It is suggested that you recite the numbers 65 to 70.
Thithy five,Thithy thith.thifthy theven,thithy eigh,thithy nine.
Thenethy.

,ill keep pratithing...

Juth thake my denthurs out and..aha..@mollie,thanks lass,im unsure what options are available,i still have about five left at front to come out,trouble is im loathe to see them go,even though i look like a horror film,they are my main chompers,and with my experience of the partials im really crapping it about a full set of bricks.
I lost mine to a mix of "failing to duck in time"epsidoes,a bike accident took out a few on my r.h.s,and others to a failure to keep on top of them due to my complete fear of dentists and their associated pain bringing.

At worst ill have to become a ventriloquist and talk with my mouth shut,i already dont smile much as i dont wish to show my teef,have learned to smirk a lot or just relax my face a bit at most

Sometimes i forget though,the look of horror on some peoples faces is comical i find and i can use that to keep people away should they stray too close.
ones that persist are always the ones worthwhile knowing,tothers are just plastic, so all good.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2014, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by greg ->
they told me to sleep in them.
never again,i still have chunks missing from tongue at the back..

have to hope i win lottery so i can get those screw in type as i cant see myself ever getting used to nhs bricks.
Now there is your problem, when my neighbour had his provided by the NHS he was nearly in tears at the pain. Was unable to keep them in as every time he spoke they provoked his gag reflex. My husband suggested the laboratory he goes to and he had a 90% improvement (his words) instantly as they fitted them properly and tested his gag reflex so they fitted them around his mouth in the best way to avoid it.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2014, 09:45 AM

This is really good info for the future Julie - much appreciated
greg
nottingham-Derby Border

06-12-2014, 09:51 AM

ive found it strange that theres very little choice in types of dentures.
in fact no choice it seems,nhs bricks or nothing(discounting the expensive screw type).
Ive tried googling whatnot thought maybe thered be some exotic rubbery ones or something but alas no.
even glasses have various different inventions regarding design/materials/comfort etc but nothing on teef at all i can find.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2014, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by greg ->
ive found it strange that theres very little choice in types of dentures.
in fact no choice it seems,nhs bricks or nothing(discounting the expensive screw type).
Ive tried googling whatnot thought maybe thered be some exotic rubbery ones or something but alas no.
even glasses have various different inventions regarding design/materials/comfort etc but nothing on teef at all i can find.
There are very different grades of teeth and plate we didn't discover that until we went to the dental laboratory, NHS use the cheapest plates and a generic tooth, with very limited colour palette.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top