Join for free
Page 138 of 370 « First < 38 88 128 136 137 138 139 140 148 188 238 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 03:33 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Ok, ok...I will eat the cake, enjoy it, and will live to burn off the calories another day .

Floydy, while you are looking at some options that will enable you some quality of life, when this subject first came up, it was about three months ago. By my count, you have already shaved off one eighth of that time. Even if you stay on track, your goals get closer by the day.

Today I made it all of a quarter mile before the skies let loose, which would have been tolerable, but lethal bolts of lightning were close enought that I tucked tail and came home. Even so, I was able to watch the gulf turn from calm emerald waves rolling in neat patterns to the shore, to a washing maching of sloshing gray whitecaps.

In the meantime, Floydy had a successful and speedy workout, and somewhere out there Cedronella is picking up her running time and the swimmers and yoga practitioners are giving it a good go. I wonder whether or not those too young to join this forum would be surprised at the amount of activity among the over fifty set? It definitely impresses me how many people like swimfeeders are out there exercising to their ability - even when it's tough, cold, or exhausting.

This forum is a steely lot!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 09:57 AM

Thanks for asking Floydy, but yesterday was a bad day for grumbling Piriformis Muscles. Right from the word go I was feeling pain when bending or putting weight on my right leg, so I downed an Ibuprofen and decided to get my arse out for a few miles after breakfast. After preparing the perfect porridge, I set about removing the remains of the sticky mixture from the bowl and pan, and changed into suitable walking attire, but to my dismay, rain spattered the window and it grew dark with the threat of more rain to come, so emulating Surfermom's example I quit....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 09:06 PM

With just a hint of discomfort I decided nothing would put me off stepping out for a five mile walk this morning. A fantastic sunny day was waiting for me outside, and a thousand horses, or a dodgy Piriformis would not keep me from enjoying it. There was a rumour permeating the village that due to the heavy continuous rain of the last few days, the river was in a critical state. So this would be the focus of this mornings expedition.

I strode briskly through the village enjoying the warm sun on my back. There were still one or two diversion signs posted on flooded roads, although I think the water had subsided, and now the roads were open, but the signs remained, as usually happens round here. I was headed to the path alongside the canal which would take me to the Aqueduct, where the canal passes over the river.

The grassy path was slippy after several days of rain, and was particularly treacherous where the grass had worn away and left oozy mud exposed for the careless foot to engage. It was while I was on this path though, that I had the un-resistable urge to jog. Although my shoes were sturdy walking shoes and not running shoes, I found it quite easy to maintain a reasonable pace for about half a mile or so, and the extra grip came in handy. I was soon looking at the collection of debris that had accumulated at the base of the bridge...

I'd never seen so many plastic bottles in one place before, and balls of assorted sizes bobbed up and down in the current. Although the river was high, I have seen it quite a lot higher that this, but judging by the high water marks along the banks, it was higher yesterday....

After leaving the metal walkway across the river I rejoined the canal bank and jogged the remaining half mile back to the road. After a a further jog along the road to the church, I enjoyed the peace of the country and the warm sun, and walked the remaining two miles home. Those last two miles along the quiet country roads were part of my regular running route that I had not visited in over six weeks, it felt good to be back, albeit only temporarily and slower.

Sometimes pushing to the limit with injury might seem reckless, but it's a necessary ingredient for any runner who wants to progress, and without this desire to push to extremes I wouldn't have done half the things I've done over the years.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 09:56 PM

It sure was a lovely morning for your walk Foxy, nice pictures again.
So glad you feel on the mend at last.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

05-04-2018, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
It sure was a lovely morning for your walk Foxy, nice pictures again.
So glad you feel on the mend at last.
Thanks Mups, but will I feel so pleased with my performance today when I can't get out of bed tomorrow....
Sometimes you just have to say 'Sod the consequences' ..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks Mups, but will I feel so pleased with my performance today when I can't get out of bed tomorrow....
Sometimes you just have to say 'Sod the consequences' ..

Well you can only wait and see what the morning brings Foxy, you may be surprisingly much better than you're expecting, then you will know for sure you are on the mend.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

05-04-2018, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Well you can only wait and see what the morning brings Foxy, you may be surprisingly much better than you're expecting, then you will know for sure you are on the mend.
Thanks Mups, watch this space.......
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2018, 11:01 PM

Well done for making yourself step out on your walk Bob, the scenery on the way was interesting .... gosh that water was high in the last pic

Hope you don't suffer too much in the morning...
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 05:52 AM

I knew you wouldn't stay down long, OGF. That's the thing with runners; we are compelled move. Fast I can see from that bluebird day why you were tempted to break out and jog though I am admittedly glad you intended to walk as you were able to take a camera along. I am fascinated by the system of canals. I don't think most Americans are aware what an extensive, and over the years, important system it has been - or how much flooding must be a concern. Interesting photos!

We runners are a strange breed, with the mindset of, "Why walk when you can run!" so I can imagine the jubilation you must have felt after a successful outing.

Because I had to stay close to home today, thanks to a filling that decided to jump ship and a kind dentist who offered to see me at lunch, I opted for the sportsplex today. With a legion of groundskeepers out on their tractors mowing wide diamond patterns in the Kentucky bluegrass, I decided to run with music.

After fumbling around in the center console to locate earbuds and an old iPod that still held a charge, I set off with a pace that would put me in the dental chair on time. Happily clipping along on this bright blue day, and aside from the workers having the park to myself, I soon found myself humming and then singing to my favorite songs. Singing while running is actually a breathing challenge though I rarely do it, and never when other people are around

You see it coming, don't you...

Just as I hit the refrain, a runner....a man about my age (whom I've never seen before) fit...handsome...passed me, calling out,

"Morning! You sing about as good as you run!"

I was mortified.

I have no other choice but to giving up singing..and running. I might even have to put my house up for sale.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 05:27 PM

Bob - I think you have the right plan there. Getting out and about and spending some time exploring the local landmarks taking photos is a good way to exercise those legs without having your mind on them too much. That is secondary to enjoying that lovely scenery and will take your mind off your other issues for a while. Plus it gets you the fresh air you need too.

Suzie (to hell with trying to type 'Surfermom' all the time!, hope you don't mind) - You ought to find that other jogger and give him a piece of your mind - how rude of him, however jokingly - to suggest you can sing better than you can jog....then again, perhaps he's flirting with you . You never know!

Lovely to see Mups in here. More details of your own exercise routines wouldn't go amiss though. Are you still keeping in trim, Mupsy?...

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

To myself then, and I'm moaning again

Following my last post on Wednesday whereby I was complaining of feeling out of sorts and blaming the stress on my work, I’m now wondering if it’s to do with something else. In the last few days I’ve been feeling increasingly agitated in myself, I’ll try to explain in bullet points my symptoms, which may be easier to understand than my typically erratic text speak:
• Redness and tightness feeling in the face.
• Feeling really flushed and hot.
• Feeling slightly nauseous and dizzy as if I’m about to black out; feeling disorientated.
• Getting out of breath more quickly; fatigue setting in and not sleeping too well.
• Depressed and withdrawn.
• Aversion to bright light.

That’s about the gist of it. One solution might be to cut back on coffee as this may be the cause, I don’t know. Maybe it’s sugar in foods, but I’m careful about those these days.
Also, looking up these signs on the internet (which isn’t always to be trusted), I’m wondering if I’m about to succumb to type 2 diabetes – all the symptoms are there.

However, despite not feeling to great this afternoon, I did venture to the gym to do my planned routine but I wasn’t in too good a state to do much work, resisting the heavier work in favour of a few lighter exercises. Even then, I was huffing and puffing my way through everything and feeling like I was about to pass out. Even the heat of the shower afterwards was almost too much and I had to dry myself in the open to get the steam away from me. I didn’t want to faint.

A mediocre session took place anyway but I stuck to the smaller limbs, focussing on my arms as heavier weights utilising the chest and back I couldn’t face.

Friday, 6 Apr 18: Basic upper body workout:

Machine curls, both arms:
30kg: 30+2, 15+2
35kg: 12
*Made a mess of this to start with! I was looking at the weight instead of reps and ended up doing ten more than necessary. No wonder I felt knackered!

Machine reverse curls, both arms:
15kg: 12, 10
20kg: 10
*Never done these before in my life, only with a barbell (see exercise below) as it’s an exercise for the forearms despite doing upward curls (the hands are reverse around the grip, pulling up using the backs of the hands opposite to the usual palm grip. I’ll keep it in the programme but the weight needs to be heavier.

Barbell standing curl:
35kg: 8+2, 8+2
40kg: 6
*This was 5kg heavier than last time. Similar to curling two 20kg DBs but using a straight bar instead.

DB hammer curl, alt.:
14kg: 6+2, 6+2
16kg: 6

Standing DB bicep curl, alt. (across chest):
14kg: 6+2, 6+2
16kg: 8

Barbell forearm reverse curl:
15kg: 12+1, 10+3
20kg: 8

DB concentration curl, alt.:
16kg: 10+1, 8+1
18kg: 7
*Feeling really strong on these, oddly. Upped the weight from 14kg DBs and even managed the 18kg to finish. Guns looking really swole (bodybuilder’s speak, lol!)

Triceps pulldown (against backrest):
47kg: 25+3, 20+3
53kg: 16
*Time to up this weight from next week, may lower the reps.

Tricep extensions:
55kg: 20+2, 15+2
60kg: 12
*I’m going to decrease the weight by 5kg on this from next time, focussing on slower reps.

Ab crunch:
40kg: 30, 30, 30

1 hour.

All the way through this session I was feeling thoroughly out of sorts, but actually looking back on this write-up I didn’t perform too badly considering. All exercises were completed to plan with any increases able to be carried out quite well. I’d like to say I’ll be back at the gym tomorrow as I intended to be and we’ll have to see how I sleep tonight and how I feel in the morning.

Take care folks and have a good weekend

Page 138 of 370 « First < 38 88 128 136 137 138 139 140 148 188 238 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top