Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2016, 07:18 AM

Re: Dementia/Alzheimer's

Originally Posted by Jennifer Eckles ->

It is beyond doubt that low oxygen levels in brain cells have a profound negative effects on function of nerve cells of the CNS. Brain hypoxia leads to anaerobic cellular respiration, generation of lactic acid and free radicals, acidic pH cellular environment, chronic inflammation, inability of the immune system to heal injuries and many other negative effects (see the links to medical research below), that include possible formation of tumors.
Well everyone knows that don't they ?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2016, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer Eckles ->
I've been following the ketogenic diet for some time. The way I do it is by intermittent fasting - for example, only eating during an 8 hour period in any one day and fasting for the remaining 16 hours of that day. I do feel so much more energised and clear-headed.
I do intermittent fasting too - though only because that's how my day works out (I don't eat anything after 6 hours before bed-time)

How have you been finding the ketogenic diet?
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2016, 06:02 PM

I have had first hand experience with Vascular Dementia, a close relative to Alzheimer's. I lost my mother to VD and had to sit back and watch her mind gradually fade from reality. Five years after her diagnosis, she died in my arms in a care home, having convinced herself she was overweight and having systematically starved herself to death.

It was difficult to describe my emotions at the time and it still hurts to think about it now, some years later.

A lot of people are very ignorant of dementia...until they have to deal with it themselves. Unfortunately dementia is a very cruel and unforgiving disease and spreads it effects across everyone who has to deal with it in some way. In my mother's case, I looked upon her death as a release from VD, having destroyed both her mind and her body with it. Sadly, as her only son, I also had to deal not only her deteriorating health, but her financial and legal affairs as well...and its that point where you find out how badly dementia victims are treated by society.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2016, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
I have had first hand experience with Vascular Dementia, a close relative to Alzheimer's. I lost my mother to VD and had to sit back and watch her mind gradually fade from reality. Five years after her diagnosis, she died in my arms in a care home, having convinced herself she was overweight and having systematically starved herself to death.

It was difficult to describe my emotions at the time and it still hurts to think about it now, some years later.

A lot of people are very ignorant of dementia...until they have to deal with it themselves. Unfortunately dementia is a very cruel and unforgiving disease and spreads it effects across everyone who has to deal with it in some way. In my mother's case, I looked upon her death as a release from VD, having destroyed both her mind and her body with it. Sadly, as her only son, I also had to deal not only her deteriorating health, but her financial and legal affairs as well...and its that point where you find out how badly dementia victims are treated by society.
Sorry to hear about your loss, Graham. It's a truly horrible disease.
This is the second time I'm having to go through it. Saw my mum yesterday and she's happy enough in her own bubble, I'm always unsure if she knows it's me or not these days though. What she does like is a nice hug, that's probably the only thing which brings her comfort.
All very sad.
devon56
London
devon56 is male  devon56 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2016, 11:59 PM

I have a similar worry with the lapses but (really, no joke) I've had these since my 20s.

I saw my Father retire from a successful career, become a popular key member of his local community, then have his mind stolen by dementia so I know how it feels.

I don't know if it's hereditary but dread the thought of suffering myself, let alone anybody who has to care for me.
devon56
London
devon56 is male  devon56 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2016, 12:03 AM

You have my sympathy. My Dad had VD and in a few years went from an 80-something tennis player at the heart of the local community to shuffling along with a frame and living in the 1940s.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2016, 06:22 AM

Might be wise to use the full term "Vascular Dementia " .......
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2016, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by devon56 ->
I have a similar worry with the lapses but (really, no joke) I've had these since my 20s.

Have you had a medical opinion about your 'lapses' devon?

I'm no expert but I'm wondering if it could be a mild form of epilepsy ... There's a name for it but I can't remember.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2016, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Have you had a medical opinion about your 'lapses' devon?

I'm no expert but I'm wondering if it could be a mild form of epilepsy ... There's a name for it but I can't remember.
You may be thinking of Absence seizures carol, which causes a short period of “blanking out” or staring into space.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2016, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
You may be thinking of Absence seizures carol, which causes a short period of “blanking out” or staring into space.
I was thinking of petite mal...is that the same as Absence seizures Pats?

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top