Join for free
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2011, 09:40 PM

Re: varifocals

Persevere Doglover - I have had varifocals for many years now. Once you get used to looking out of the right part of the lens by adjusting your head (but not too quickly at first) I think it is much better than having to have two pairs of specs. My opticians were very good and said that if I had them and found I couldn't get on with them then I could go back to two pairs and they woudn't charge me for the varifocals. Luckily it was fine, but it does take at least a couple of weeks before you are properly adjusted to them.
Gerris
New Member!
London, UK
Gerris is female 

25-01-2011, 09:37 AM

I agree with Aerolor - persevere. I got my first pair of varifocals just over a year ago. They were a bit weird at first, but I persevered and I now absolutely love them.

I think it helped that my reading add was quite low (+1.25) - I have heard tales of people that held out until they couldn't function without them having more difficulty in adjusting. How strong is your prescription?
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2011, 09:52 AM

I think it must be to do with the prescription. I'm quite short sighted,have one eye quite weaker than the other. I could'nt get on with them. There's that terrible feeling of nausea when you look quickly up and down.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2011, 01:02 PM

Like John I am also quite short-sighted, but I always wore contact lenses until 10 years ago. When I went back to specs I found I couldn't read with them on and was continually looking over the top of my specs at people. Folks said I looked like a strict schoolmistress. That was when I changed to varifocals. The optician said close vision often improves with age if you are short-sighted. I now find that it is easier to read without specs, so I think my close work eyesight must be quite reasonable these days and a big advantage is that I can snuggle down in bed and read without thinking of where my spec have gone. Trouble is - my eyes get tired more quickly these days.
Bridie
northants
Bridie is female  Bridie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2011, 08:28 PM

What a lot of varied answers, thanks. I did go to Dolland and Aitchinson. I used to use specsavers but didnt like them so I changed. The service was great, they were very helpful and said to go back if I have problems, but she said to try them 3-4 days. Ive now tried them for about 4 days but not all the time. They are slightly better but Ive had to take them off now to go on the computer. I really cant see on the PC.. I can see the TV better without them too.

It seems the area that is clear is just too small. I find it frustaring and it does make me dizzy and nauseous. I think Ill give it another week then go back if Im still having problems.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2011, 09:13 PM

Are your frames very small?
Bridie
northants
Bridie is female  Bridie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2011, 09:21 PM

Quite small but they are the same size as my two workmates frames who both have varifocals with no problems.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2011, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by doglover ->
Quite small but they are the same size as my two workmates frames who both have varifocals with no problems.
Sounds like it may take you longer to get use to them.

Is there any way you can move your screen further away from you when using the computer, I found I had to do that
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2011, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I must be the lucky one then ..... or maybe it's the excellent service of my optician, Dolland & Aichison who have been in business for over 250 years!
I work for Boots and they have recently taken over D&A so soon you will notice a change to Boots Opticians probably..I use Varifocals I don't need distance specs so the top is clear and magnified bottoms so I don't have to keep putting glasses on and off at work I must say though the last pair I had were really good but just had new ones and they are taking some getting used to but the specs themselves are a lot smaller in the lenses so this is probably the problem on the computer I have to tilt my head back to see if I am wearing them perhaps the answer after all is to get straps for my readers which I really don't want to do...
Bridie
northants

27-01-2011, 10:34 PM

Mine was boots and D&A. I havent worn them today because Ive been really busy and cant be doing with being unable to see properly. I think I will give up. I dont usually admit defeat so easily but its so frustrating when I can see better without them.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top