Join for free
Page 1 of 58 1 2 3 11 51 > Last »
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 08:32 PM

Seeing the International Space Station

This might interest a few people on here, its an explanation of how you can see the ISS cross the skies over the next week or so, basically the station orbits the Earth every 75 minutes or so and at certain times we can see it crossing the skies of the UK and other Countries of course. It is visible at the time the ISS is in the vicinity of crossing the UK and when the solar panels catch the light of the Sun. At those times it appears as a bright white light about as bright as a planet like Jupiter.

So how to see it.....

To see it go outside at one of the times mentioned below, face South, look up and a bright white light will cross the sky from West to East. It will a steady white light about as bright as the planet Jupiter, the angle you look up will vary on how far South you are, in the South of the UK it tends to be almost overhead, In Scotland it will be much lower.

Tonight (Sunday) is is visible from 11:45pm for about 5 minutes for anyone up late it is then also visible after Midnight at the following times

1:20am and 2:57am

Tomorrow evening (Monday) it is visible at

10:53pm and then again after midnight at 00:27am

Happy spotting

For people in other Countries you can use this link to get the times it is visible

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 08:49 PM

Re: Seeing the International Space Station

Thanks DW.

Strangely a thick mist has just rolled in over the whole town so if it doesn't clear, I will give it a go tomorrow night.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 08:56 PM

Thanks DW, I'll try to remember to look our for it tonight or/and Monday
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Thanks DW, I'll try to remember to look our for it tonight or/and Monday
Is it misty where you are Mags? (I'm also in the SW)
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 09:02 PM

The sky is crystal clear here LD, but dusk is falling quickly now...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

20-05-2018, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
The sky is crystal clear here LD, but dusk is falling quickly now...
Oh ok. Maybe I left the BBQ alight.

.................................................. .........................

Looks like I will have to look tomorrow instead which is actually a better time.

I'm not sure if I have seen it on a sunny evening. I could see something shining high, high up in the sky. Higher than a plane. Never really knew what it was though.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 09:22 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Isn't there a website that gives earth views from that very station ?
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 11:39 PM

Just a reminder 11:45pm!!!! 5 minutes time.....

Oh by the way the ISS is only visible when it is dark or shortly after the Sun has set, it is not bright enough to see it during the day
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

21-05-2018, 12:02 AM

I can't believe I actually saw the ISS just under 10 minutes ago

It is a lovely clear sky here with sparkling stars and a bright moon. I was in the back garden looking up and not really expecting to see anything but after 5 minutes I was aware of something moving .... and there it was, brighter than the stars and moving faster than I had imagined it would from west to east.

Thank you DW for giving me the opportunity to view this ‘wonder’.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by DWebb ->
Just a reminder 11:45pm!!!! 5 minutes time.....

Oh by the way the ISS is only visible when it is dark or shortly after the Sun has set, it is not bright enough to see it during the day
Thanks for the heads up on this. Had a great view of it flying over, west to east as you said.

Interestingly I saw another satellite, pretty bright about 10 mins before it travelling South to North. Could be anything I guess.

Page 1 of 58 1 2 3 11 51 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top