Join for free
Page 24 of 28 « First < 14 22 23 24 25 26 > Last »
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 10:17 AM

Re: Had enough of the UK

I know many , many Brits who have returned from Oz totally disillusioned with life there, My sister included.

Too expensive, Too hot, too remote , too much violence ( melbourne), too chauvanistic, too remote, everyone ends up with either skin cancer, liver disease or both or are too busy defending themselves from deadly critters............and did I mention it's the back of beyond...and then some!

No wonder there are so many Aussies annoying the f*ck out of us here in good ol' Blighty. Parts of London could easily be downtown Sydney, there are so many living there.
nicko
uk
nicko is male 

23-03-2019, 01:13 PM

Well I've traveled to many countries and climes and 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' they say - Canada beautiful but has the most violent bikie gang in the world [reputedly so] ; OZ - yes hot in places and cyclones but also snow and skiing in the mountain areas - reputed to be the most successful multicultural country on the planet ; I've just got back from Indonesia - hot and Islamic but great food and very friendly people ; HK - busy - congestive but exciting and great food again ; France/Germany/Austria etc - great dining and usually clean! UK - well being back from quite a few years away - changed but still some beautiful countryside ; better food now and good beer still and so it goes on - we can all pick out the bad bits but what about the good bits too??
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by nicko ->
Well I've traveled to many countries and climes and 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' they say - Canada beautiful but has the most violent bikie gang in the world [reputedly so] ; OZ - yes hot in places and cyclones but also snow and skiing in the mountain areas - reputed to be the most successful multicultural country on the planet ; I've just got back from Indonesia - hot and Islamic but great food and very friendly people ; HK - busy - congestive but exciting and great food again ; France/Germany/Austria etc - great dining and usually clean! UK - well being back from quite a few years away - changed but still some beautiful countryside ; better food now and good beer still and so it goes on - we can all pick out the bad bits but what about the good bits too??
I agree, as long as you keep away from some of the large cities.
nicko
uk
nicko is male 

24-03-2019, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree, as long as you keep away from some of the large cities.
well all the SE asian countries have nice cities - in Kuala Lumpur we hired a taxi for the day at a good rate and that way we saw plenty with a stop for good asian lunch which the driver joined us for. Singapore is clean but also has historic parts like the Indian quarter and HK is really majestic with the great 'peak' which is often covered in clouds and were the rich gweilos used to live once because it was cooler than in the city. a ride on the funicular rail up to the top of the peak is fun and then the view from the top majestic!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by nicko ->
well all the SE asian countries have nice cities - in Kuala Lumpur we hired a taxi for the day at a good rate and that way we saw plenty with a stop for good asian lunch which the driver joined us for. Singapore is clean but also has historic parts like the Indian quarter and HK is really majestic with the great 'peak' which is often covered in clouds and were the rich gweilos used to live once because it was cooler than in the city. a ride on the funicular rail up to the top of the peak is fun and then the view from the top majestic!
My apologies for the confusion. I should have emboldened the words in your post I was referring to:

UK - well being back from quite a few years away - changed but still some beautiful countryside

I agree. I have been to some large cities abroad and found them both attractive and safe.
nicko
uk
nicko is male 

24-03-2019, 12:31 AM

well once you've lived in SE Asia doesn't matter which part - you may dislike the religion and politics but the food and culture and people are different - they are usually very polite and helpful and once you are invited to their home - you have the final stamp of approval. I remember a chinese colleague of mine inviting me and a few others to his small two bedroom flat for evening dinner - that was the icing on the cake and he and his wife had cooked a three course chinese meal for 6 - magic dor cha dor cha!!
nicko
uk
nicko is male 

24-03-2019, 12:45 AM

mind you come to think of it there are some Asian capitals that whilst interesting are very hot and tiresome - Bangkok comes to mind and Saigon and Hanoi - dangerous for crossing the road - in fact stay off the road !
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 06:47 AM

I was impressed visiting Singapore...it's just so clean...then I discovered it's the death sentence for dropping litter.....ok I am exaggerating but discovering their draconian laws left me somewhat less than impressed
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

24-03-2019, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I was impressed visiting Singapore...it's just so clean...then I discovered it's the death sentence for dropping litter.....ok I am exaggerating but discovering their draconian laws left me somewhat less than impressed
I disagree. This country would benefit from adopting their strict laws unless, of course, you're a criminal presently taking full advantage of our broken judicial and penal system.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
It's pretty easy - Don't litter, don't jaywalk, don't import or use Chewing Gum, don't urinate in lifts, remember to flush the toilet, don't vandalise anything and you will be pretty right.

The main complaint about Singapore is that it is not cheap $1Sing = $1Aus, neighbouring Malaysia is much cheaper.

Page 24 of 28 « First < 14 22 23 24 25 26 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top