Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 09:29 PM

Moderate carbohydrate intake may be best for health?

You may have seen the news reports about this astonishing result of some research. Carbs are suddenly good and help you live longer. I am not convinced. Or at least I'd rather die younger due to reduced carbs than live with a long term condition due to a bad diet.

Of course there are good carbs and bad but most people seeing this headline will decide it's ok to have another slice or cake or another bag of chips.

What are your views?

"The researchers estimated that from age 50, the average life expectancy was an additional 33 years for those with moderate carbohydrate intake -- 4 years longer than those with very low carbohydrate consumption (29 years), and 1 year longer compared to those with high carbohydrate consumption (32 years). However, the authors highlight that since diets were only measured at the start of the trial and 6 years later, dietary patterns could change over 25 years, which might make the reported effect of carbohydrate consumption on lifespan less certain."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0817093812.htm
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 09:50 PM

Re: Moderate carbohydrate intake may be best for health?

During the 60's and 70's when "diets' became hot news we were taught

CUT THE CARBS

And back then we didn't eat as many as we do today

We were told cut the spuds and the bread and cakes

Something we all need to be aware of today
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 09:59 PM

I don't care what they say about potatoes, I adore them. But bread and cakes, well they are ok in small amounts.

It's funny what you say about 70s diets. My mum had this special grapefruit diet book with a drawing of a lovely slim lady standing in the middle of a grapefruit. Of course these days we know that eating grapefruit might not be so healthy if you are on any kind of medication.

My view is that you should eat what makes you feel healthy. We are 100% all guaranteed to die one day anyway so you might as well enjoy something in life.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 12:13 PM

I suppose it was time for a change really. The old low carb diet has been in place for a while now so time for a nutrition update, a bit like updating your pc on a regular basis. No doubt this information was put out by the potato Association of Great Britain or similar.

Cynical? Moi?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I suppose it was time for a change really. The old low carb diet has been in place for a while now so time for a nutrition update, a bit like updating your pc on a regular basis. No doubt this information was put out by the potato Association of Great Britain or similar.

Cynical? Moi?

Theres a lot of evidence that cutting the carbs, or at least swapping the carbs ( ie no beige ones ) is reversing diabetes as well as dropping the weight
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Theres a lot of evidence that cutting the carbs, or at least swapping the carbs ( ie no beige ones ) is reversing diabetes as well as dropping the weight
I totally agree Missy. I have done a low card diet before now and it works. I suppose the answer is 'Low' carbs and not 'No' carbs.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 12:33 PM

Having been an insulin dependent diabetic since the 80's I have been advised to eat High carb diets & low carb diets... but took no notice!! I have always eaten what I call a balanced diet, with protein, carbs and lots of veg, which has never done me any harm & I have never suffered the many health problems that diabetes causes.

I do try to avoid processed food, when I can though, because I don't even understand what half the ingredients are, so much safer to cook from fresh!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

18-08-2018, 01:02 PM

So is that type 1 or type 2 diabetes Twink?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
So is that type 1 or type 2 diabetes Twink?
Type 1.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

18-08-2018, 01:21 PM

I was asking because there is some evidence that following a gluten free diet can help type 1 diabetes. It can go hand in hand with coeliac.

They keep coming up with studies connecting certain diets to lifespan, but a lot of people who follow diets already have pre-existing conditions which can shorten life. It's difficult to strip out the confounding variables from such a study.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top