Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 07:12 AM

Re: Digital Driving Licence

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Won't affect it, just like having a photo on your phone.
So what about when your battery dies and you don't have a way to charge it? Plus how does it work with Apps such as Whatsapp and facebook that have access to your photographs? It has to be in the cloud too because where else do people back up to these days.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Or you could just carry a license.
But that won't provide employment to countless developers or allow systems to keep digital information on the population.

I see a long term cost and numerous risks to such ventures. You chuck your phone away and how much of your digital identity remains in the handset? Does anyone really know how these things work? Android has been deemed unsafe as a system. At least you can understand a card or piece of paper and take responsibility if you lose it. But an unsecured phone on an open network can be accessed by anyone who knows what they are doing .
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
So what about when your battery dies and you don't have a way to charge it? Plus how does it work with Apps such as Whatsapp and facebook that have access to your photographs? It has to be in the cloud too because where else do people back up to these days.
I didn't say it was kept as a photo on your phone (though I keep my Medicare and Driving licence as a photo on my phone) I said it was LIKE a photo on your phone - it is in an app.

Every car has a way of charging your phone, everybody can afford a power bank. These are just silly objections, wallets can be stolen or left at home, everything has some short coming but these days most people would not leave home without their phone.

One reasonable objection is that you can not touch your phone in NSW if your engine is running so you have to wait until a policeman asks to see your licence.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 10:06 AM

I have just had a nightmare getting a card driving licence.
First I couldn't get a suitable photograph, I blinked and wasted £10 in the photo booth so came home and took my own using my ipad.

I don't have a passport so had to send my birth certificate and marriage certificate. I also had to get a signed declaration that I was indeed the person in the photograph and it had to be someone who had known me three years and preferably had held a position of responsibility like a Judge,MP, Policeman but not my Doctor.
I retired 10 years ago and no longer have contact with 'people in positions of responsibility' so I asked a neighbour who used to be the manager of a sheltered housing complex to sign.
They returned my application saying that she 'wasn't a person of responsibility'
I then asked another neighbour an accountant and when I got home I noticed he had filled it in incorrectly putting his birthday instead of the days date so I have had a week living in fear of the application being returned yet again.

I finally received my card yesterday so can now breath again.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I have just had a nightmare getting a card driving licence.
First I couldn't get a suitable photograph, I blinked and wasted £10 in the photo booth so came home and took my own using my ipad.

I don't have a passport so had to send my birth certificate and marriage certificate. I also had to get a signed declaration that I was indeed the person in the photograph and it had to be someone who had known me three years and preferably had held a position of responsibility like a Judge,MP, Policeman but not my Doctor.
I retired 10 years ago and no longer have contact with 'people in positions of responsibility' so I asked a neighbour who used to be the manager of a sheltered housing complex to sign.
They returned my application saying that she 'wasn't a person of responsibility'
I then asked another neighbour an accountant and when I got home I noticed he had filled it in incorrectly putting his birthday instead of the days date so I have had a week living in fear of the application being returned yet again.

I finally received my card yesterday so can now breath again.
And have you noticed meg, your photo looks like it wouldn’t be out of place in a police photo mug shot, mine does anyway..
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 11:08 AM

Sounds like some government nutter trying to make a name for themselves with this crazy idea. Typically assuming everyone has a cell phone. If they don't own one will the government provide them at a far greater cost than the present ID card system.

I can't believe any country would be so stupid to even consider the idea
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
And have you noticed meg, your photo looks like it wouldn’t be out of place in a police photo mug shot, mine does anyway..
Hi Primus after measuring everything carefully as per the instructions they have cut off my hair and it is so pale it could be a ghost my sister says hers is the same.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

16-12-2018, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Sounds like some government nutter trying to make a name for themselves with this crazy idea. Typically assuming everyone has a cell phone. If they don't own one will the government provide them at a far greater cost than the present ID card system.

I can't believe any country would be so stupid to even consider the idea
Bazzer what makes me cross is I have been driving for over 50 years with not a stain on my licence and I see people every day in the press getting small fines for not having a licence/tax/insurance .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 11:41 AM

Blooming awful idea .
A driving licence is quite useful for ID purposes .
It lighter than a smartphone and hopefully no one will mug you for it .
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Primus after measuring everything carefully as per the instructions they have cut off my hair and it is so pale it could be a ghost my sister says hers is the same.
You do realise, you’ll have to get your hair cut EXACTLY the same as in the photo, plus alter your complection too

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top