Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2019, 09:25 AM

Re: salted butter/ unsalted butter

It's federal election night tonight here. A change of government is tipped. We are all on tenterhooks. We often have election night parties here. I have a feeling you do the same in Britain. Not sure. Tonight is the night!..We have a few of the "true believers" coming over and I have made what I might say is an awesome cake. Needless to say ..lots of (salted)butter!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2019, 09:30 AM

I have started using butter in small amounts , it lasts me ages so i cut it up and freeze the chunks till needed . I really dont like spreads anymore .
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2019, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I was just wondering.... does anyone here eat salted butter and if so why?

We have salted and unsalted in the supermarket but what's the point of having salt in butter? Does it go back to the pre-fridge era?

Yes, salted butter keeps longer plus it has the added advantage of tasting nicer.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2019, 10:14 AM

Salted every time. Nothing tastes as good as loads of salted butter spread on wholemeal toast! MMMMMM!
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2019, 10:30 AM

Salted here as well.
Just about to put loads of it on me crumpets along with lashings of marmite...
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2019, 11:13 AM

Usually use unsalted. Salted burns easier.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2019, 11:53 AM

Salted butter (1.8g pr 100g) in moderation for me. No butter used for cooking, I used rapeseed oil (cold pressed only). No added salt, on the table or in cooking, there's enough salt in a balanced diet. No cakes or pastries eaten so no butter there.

A diagnosis of pre-diabetes (Type 2) in May 2017 gave me access to an NHS pre-diabetes programme and nutritionists. A steep learning curve on that taught me a lot, including the 'right foods' to eat and moderation in all things is the key. Also that most of us eat too much and exercise too little. Two years' later I have beaten that diagnosis also with reductions in weight, high blood pressure and high cholesterol – it is possible, it just takes knowledge and willpower!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2019, 12:24 PM

Butter with sea salt in it for toast or spread on tiger bread - has a nice `crunch` to it when you bite one of the salt crystals.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2019, 01:09 PM

Mainly salted butter but occasionally like a bit of Lurpak unsalted.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2019, 03:09 PM

That's interesting about salt preserving the butter, because on googling it seems that is the reason they started to add it.

We always had Lurpak unsalted in the house as a child to slather on fresh baked bloomers from the bakery (yum!) and I guess you stick to what you're used to. My mum always hated salted so it was banned. I don't tend to eat it myself unless I am baking a cake, scrambling eggs or mashing spuds. It seems to keep forever in the fridge. Bertoli for sandwiches etc. I guess unsalted is better for your blood pressure, one black mark instead of two.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top