Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2019, 06:21 PM

Hatton Garden

Anyone watching this ITV drama, all this week, Timothy Spall etc.?
Any good?
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2019, 06:51 PM

Re: Hatton Garden

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Anyone watching this ITV drama, all this week, Timothy Spall etc.?
Any good?
I've just watched my recording of it.

I will continue to watch it, but imo it's not one of the greatest dramas of all time, despite the superlative cast.

They didn't dramatise enough of the research/preparation leading up to the heist, for one thing, and then there was a lot of squabbling between the gang members while they were doing it.

The other thing that worried me a bit was that in the opening credits, they said that, in effect, due to there still being some mystery about how it happened, they pretty much made up some stuff. That is worrying, because it was only four years ago, and we all know how dramatised events can get engrained into the psyche and become 'the gospel truth', which may have implications later.

It may be ok to play fast and loose with the truth a hundred years after the event, but not, imo, only a few years after the events happened.
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2019, 06:55 PM

I enjoyed it, but was somewhat puzzled at the end - didn't realise there was more than one episode!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2019, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetsue ->
I enjoyed it, but was somewhat puzzled at the end - didn't realise there was more than one episode!
I think it's 4 episodes Monday-Thursday this week.
I think I'll record the 4 and watch it as and when.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 03:06 PM

I watched three of four then got fed up with it.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 05:45 PM

I watched the lot and quite enjoyed it.

There has apparently been a degree of poetic licence, though, so you have to take some of it with a pinch of salt.

It was weird, though, watching Timothy Spall as the violent, nasty cockney gangster one day, and then the very next day seeing him play a 1950s Lord with an cut-glass accent in "Summer of Rockets"!

(The latter, by the way is excellent! But then it's a Stephen Poliakoff drama, so it would be).
Pyxell
South of England

25-05-2019, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetsue ->

What you mean when they just abandoned it and went home?

(If they had, they wouldn't be in prison now, the silly sods!)
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 08:52 PM

Most of them are out except Basil who wasn't caught till 2018 and Terry who died of natural causes in prison.
Pyxell
South of England

26-05-2019, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Most of them are out except Basil who wasn't caught till 2018 and Terry who died of natural causes in prison.
Gosh! They must have been on best behaviour!

I'm just watching the documentary "Hatton Garden: The Inside Story", " that I recorded on Friday.

They interviewed Kenny Collins, the driver/lookout, and the mindset of the career criminal is incredible! He said that "It's a living, it's what you do for a living".

Then he blames the vault for not being secure enough.

Then he blamed Brian Reader for pulling after the first attempt, saying that if he hadn't pulled out, they wouldn't have got nicked. Kenny said he had spent a lot of time and money preparing for it!

Hmm. Maybe if he hadn't used a distinctive white and black Mercedes he wouldn't have got nicked!
Maybe if he and Brian hadn't met up in a public place, they wouldn't have got nicked?
Maybe if they'd kept to the plan of no contact with each other for 6 months, they wouldn't have got nicked?
Pyxell
South of England

26-05-2019, 10:50 AM

Edit to above post.....

Actually the police account was extremely close to the events in the dramatisation, so I take back what I said about taking it all with a pinch of salt!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top