Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 04:24 PM

Thieving Vet

How's this for an extraordinary thing I read in a Sunday paper yesterday.

A woman had taken her pregnant bitch into her vet for a caesarean, as the dog had started to whelp but ran into problems.

It seems the bitch was carrying 6 puppies, but only 4 were given back to the owner, and told the other two had died.

A week later, the truth came out.
The vet and her assistant had stolen 1 puppy each and told the owner only 4 were delivered alive!
This was a Vet from the "Vets Now" chain of 60 surgeries.

Apparently other staff had overheard the vet stating her intentions, but no one had taken it seriously.
These were French Bulldogs with a value of up to £2,000 each.

One of the stolen newborns died, and when she was found out, the other one was returned to the dogs owner.

Although the Surgery sacked this woman, the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons have not stopped her from practicing, just given her a 6 month ban from working.

Made me wonder how many other clients she had done this too as well?
The dog's owner said the police didn't really want to know!

If this woman had done that to me or one of my dogs, I would certainly not let that rest there.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 04:27 PM

Re: Thieving Vet

Thanks for explaining it. I saw the headline but it didn't make much sense.
I didn't realise they were puppies. I'm sure it would be a lucrative sideline for vets.

I'm surprised that the owner was unable to press criminal charges.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Thanks for explaining it. I saw the headline but it didn't make much sense.
I didn't realise they were puppies. I'm sure it would be a lucrative sideline for vets.

I'm surprised that the owner was unable to press criminal charges.

I agree Annie.
I know I wouldn't rest until I'd sorted it.

Apparently this Vet, who happens to live in a £950,000 house in Surrey, would not comment.
I bet she wouldn't!
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 04:35 PM

I'm amazed the RCVS didn't strike her off!

Not only did she steal from a client, distress her client with the tale that the puppies had died, she also caused the death of one puppy by removing it from its mum.

Who would want ever want to go to a vet who had done that?

Why didn't the police prosecute? She was a proven thief!

I'm really shocked, on loads of levels.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

27-05-2019, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
I'm amazed the RCVS didn't strike her off!

Not only did she steal from a client, distress her client with the tale that the puppies had died, she also caused the death of one puppy by removing it from its mum.

Who would want ever want to go to a vet who had done that?

Why didn't the police prosecute? She was a proven thief!

I'm really shocked, on loads of levels.

You and me both, Pyxell.

The Hearing decided "She was very unlikely to pose a risk to animals in the future!"
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You and me both, Pyxell.

The Hearing decided "She was very unlikely to pose a risk to animals in the future!"
What?

There's no way I'd take any animal of mine to any practice she was working in!
Pyxell
South of England

27-05-2019, 04:45 PM

Another thought..... the pups may have been worth a lot of money, but only with kennel club registration and pedigree documents.

A buyer wouldn't have been able to verify its pedigree, or see its mother, so it would only have realised a fraction of its true worth.

Or were they intending to forge some pedigree papers as well?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree Annie.
I know I wouldn't rest until I'd sorted it.

Apparently this Vet, who happens to live in a £950,000 house in Surrey, would not comment.
I bet she wouldn't!
I'm not surprised she won't comment as she is probably worried about the legal consequences of any admission of guilt. But you'd think the police would want to take her to court for theft. Perhaps it's all on hearsay at the moment and they would need to go down the legal route with dna tests?

As an aside, it's funny when they put the price of a house in a news article. They often do this to make someone appear wealthy. But in Surrey £950k could be a 90% mortgaged semi detached 3 up two down if it's in a good area.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

27-05-2019, 09:10 PM

What?

There's no way I'd take any animal of mine to any practice she was working in!
Our pets are at a really ethical surgery now, but originally they were registered with a real shark practice. It's very varied out there. The shark practice were constantly trying to milk every opportunity to make money out of animals.

It's totally cuthroat out there so if you have a vet with integrity I think you are lucky.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

27-05-2019, 09:12 PM

Another thought..... the pups may have been worth a lot of money, but only with kennel club registration and pedigree documents.

A buyer wouldn't have been able to verify its pedigree, or see its mother, so it would only have realised a fraction of its true worth.

Or were they intending to forge some pedigree papers as well?
Perhaps she had no intention of selling the puppy. But I am sure there is an international market for pedigree dogs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top