Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 07:47 PM

Please take another seat.

It's usually my Lovely Cousin who says, "I've had an idea," but this time it was my turn. I had an old defunct solar powered water feature in the form of a glass fibre milk churn that I wanted to turn into a seat,

so …

I took the seat of a bar stool

to use as a pattern

to make the basic shape of a tractor seat, but in wood, using the top of an old fish tank.

Roughing out.

Shaping complete with a little trompe l'oeil (to deceive the eye.) It's actually a thick block of wood, but the idea is to make it look like a piece of thin cast iron.

I decided making tear drop shaped slots was too much like hard work, so I bought a set of 22mm holes to install instead.

Now to make a start on the milk churn.

A few coats of Hammerite to make it look like aluminium.

Being only thin, hollow glass fibre, the rim was too weak to take the weight of a people, so I decided to make a lid. First, a plug to spread the load.

Two concentric circles and the cap of another churn as a pattern.

If the cap fits …

… paint it.

Poor cow.

Best in show!

Nicely churned out.

Final assembly.

Look at it from my point of view.

Now I just need my Lovely Cousin to decide where to put it.

Here, next to a French churn?

Or here in front of the dining room?

Oh well, she will decide eventually.

I know I am blowing my own trumpet, but I have to say I am ever so slightly chuffed at the result.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 07:58 PM

Re: Please take another seat.

You are very clever! I need a "cousin" like you I think!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 08:13 PM

Very clever fruitcake and a result to be proud of.

Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 08:18 PM

Wow! Clever old you!

But tell me, as I need some..... where did you buy the set of holes?
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Wow! Clever old you!

But tell me, as I need some..... where did you buy the set of holes?
Why thank ee, but a little less of the old if you don't mind … oh well all right then, I'll let you off.

The holes were purchased from our little corner Hole shop of course. They sell them singly or in sets of both metric and imperial in all sorts of sizes. The problem usually is finding something to put them in that they won't fall out of. Eventually I came up with the idea of using a string bag as the holes fitted perfectly between the chords.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 08:37 PM

Wow a new type of milking stool. VELLY INTERESTING
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
Why thank ee, but a little less of the old if you don't mind … oh well all right then, I'll let you off.

The holes were purchased from our little corner Hole shop of course. They sell them singly or in sets of both metric and imperial in all sorts of sizes. The problem usually is finding something to put them in that they won't fall out of. Eventually I came up with the idea of using a string bag as the holes fitted perfectly between the chords.
Do they do mail order? Or is that wholly out of the question?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 08:53 PM

Very clever Fruitcake...
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 08:57 PM

love it! Make me one for my garden please
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 09:05 PM

Fruity you should be on that Trash for Cash programme (or whatever it's called) as one of their innovative designers and craftsmen!

Seriously, wow

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top