Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2019, 05:48 PM

Re: Feeding Birds

sun flower dried seeds birds go crazy for in a hanging feeder

Taken while we had the kennels a few years back, this was every day, cost us a small fortune in food. Luckily we had access to a trade wholesaler.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2019, 05:55 PM

My lot loved Mealworm, I only gave it as a treat it was really expensive.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2019, 11:01 PM

I get Wood Pigeons too, and Collared Doves, but only the odd Magpie, but it's not really a problem because the little birds just flit in and feed when the big ones have gone.

Don't forget also Swim, to encourage the smaller birds with a 'small bird' feed where there is more small seed and maize and nuts etc are chopped smaller for them too.
I use Robin feed quite a bit, but often add some dried mealworms, or porridge oats or finely chopped nuts as well.

They do say to soak mealworms when they are feeding babies, as the chicks have been known to choke otherwise, but I must confess I usually forget.

Don't forget water too. I prefer bird tables (3) because I can put food and water together then, plus I have 2 bird baths for them as well, which they are always splashing about in.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 08:57 AM

I miss feeding the birds. We used to have about 7 or 8 bird feeders going all the time. I made my own suet for them , had peanuts for the squirrels, woodpeckers and blue jays. Unfortunately all the seeds attracted too many mice to our house so we stopped. It was heart breaking seeing all the regulars coming in the winter looking for their birdie kibble and there not being any.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 10:58 AM

P.S. Swim, I said . . . "Don't forget water too. I prefer bird tables (3) because I can put food and water together then, plus I have 2 bird baths for them as well, which they are always splashing about in."

This morning I was watching a big fat Pigeon feeding, and a little Robin flew down and just ate from a different table.

If the feeders are spaced well apart, it shouldn't stop any size bird eating in piece.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 11:12 AM

The pigeons here are no bother to the wee birds, it's the Magpies who do all the bullying. When they are not eating they strut about the lawns and if a wee bird lands then they rush it...….I could cheerfully throttle the pair of them. As I said earlier I stopped putting food out and they have vanished. Yesterday I noticed a Blackie hoping about on the lawn and I watched to see if the Magpies would come but they didn't. I have the bottom of the kitchen window open just now and if I see the Blackie again then I'll throw out some food for him, see if I can entice him to the window sill.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 11:15 AM

I'd be worried about putting out a bird bath. I think it would never be used and fill up with algae.

I moved one of the bird feeders to the umbrella on the patio and now the small birds are coming to feed on it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

31-05-2019, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I'd be worried about putting out a bird bath. I think it would never be used and fill up with algae.

I moved one of the bird feeders to the umbrella on the patio and now the small birds are coming to feed on it.

I don't find it a problem Annie.
I keep an old, bristly washing up brush just for that, and quickly brush it around the bath before I refill it with clean water. Takes about 10 seconds.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

31-05-2019, 11:28 AM

I have a really big saucer that a big flower pot used to sit in. I use that as a bird bath, just rinse out when it needs more water put in.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 11:36 AM

I love training birds to come to my hand for food.

By far the best way to do this is to use live mealworms, as birds can't resist them!
Dried ones just don't cut it.

Robins and starlings are easy to train to come to the hand, although it still takes a lot of patience, and a few days.

Blackbirds are much harder, as they are more timid.

Eventually though, it gets to the stage that, if they see I'm in the kitchen, they glare through the window until I go out with some mealworms.

Be warned, you 'waste' a lot of time doing this!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top