Join for free
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 08:51 PM

Optical Illusions

Going through my photos today, I found this one of the stage at the Teatro Olimpico in Vicenza, Italy.

The flat stage actually ends where the guy is standing. Beyond him, the scene is painted onto a vertical backdrop, to give the illusion of the street carrying on into the distance.

You can just see the join!

Do you have any examples of optical illusions/trompe l'oeils?

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 08:57 PM

Re: Optical Illusions

Very clever.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 09:03 PM

funny you should mention optical illusions, I know this isn't quite what you are meaning but I thought I'd just mention my optical illusion today.

I've been wearing some glasses today as a temporary measure until my prescription glasses are ready and tonight when I was cooking pork steaks in a frying pan earlier, for some reason the pan appeared as if it was on an incline. I know it wasn't but yet my eyes saw the pan as it was sloping down, it was really odd and I told my husband what was happening and he said it sounds like an optical illusion. I didn't like it, I kept wanting to put the pan flat on the stove, yet it was lol.

I'm not sure I've worded this right for you to understand but I hope I have.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
funny you should mention optical illusions, I know this isn't quite what you are meaning but I thought I'd just mention my optical illusion today.

I've been wearing some glasses today as a temporary measure until my prescription glasses are ready and tonight when I was cooking pork steaks in a frying pan earlier, for some reason the pan appeared as if it was on an incline. I know it wasn't but yet my eyes saw the pan as it was sloping down, it was really odd and I told my husband what was happening and he said it sounds like an optical illusion. I didn't like it, I kept wanting to put the pan flat on the stove, yet it was lol.

I'm not sure I've worded this right for you to understand but I hope I have.
I understand perfectly.
I've been short-sighted since childhood, and every time I had an eye test, until recent years, I've needed slightly stronger lenses.

Whenever I put on the new glasses for the first time, things would appear to be sloping... especially the floor.
Once my eyes adjusted to the new lenses, possibly after a day, or day and a half, everything righted itself.
Pyxell
South of England

07-06-2019, 10:52 AM

Ancient floor tiling in Pompeii.
Trompe l'oeils like this are very common, but still amazing!

It's very hard to convince oneself that the surface is flat!.

Close-up detail of the same floor.........

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top