Join for free
Page 4 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 08:07 PM

Re: Petition by Age UK protesting withdrawal of free TV licences for over 75s

Signed
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Another partition as well.

more the merrier to stop these bastards.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petit...-ATwlRUTNpP_uc
@ Galty – thanks for adding another petition, I've signed that and can confirm the total on that one stands at 145,187.

Also thanks to all who have signed the original petition that Age UK started which I put on here. Some mentioned putting it on their Facebook page so thanks for doing that too. The total on that one stands at 449,583.

I saw today that a lot of other people have added this to their Facebook page. Perhaps those who need to be made aware are getting the message, I hope so anyway.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 11:07 PM

Signed...
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 08:55 AM

Also signed.
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 06:04 PM

Just 'bumping' this thread up again so anyone who's missed it and wishes to sign either or both of the petitions can do so, see below:

Link to Age UK petition which at time of posting has reached 476,947 signatures:

www.ageuk.org.uk/tvpetition

Link to UK Government and parliament Petition which at the time of posting has reached 155,027 signatures:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petit...-ATwlRUTNpP_uc
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 06:07 PM

Signed
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Just a thought here.. should the outcry work and the tv licence stays free for over 75, will that give the Gov a valid excuse to try and get rid of our bus passes as getting two things for free may go against public generosity
TV licences don't affect me as I don't own a TV - but it is hard luck on those who do. Are they going to stop the blind having free ones as well?

If it had to be a choice I would rather keep the bus pass - at least they are useful!
Baz46

14-06-2019, 07:31 PM

From what I can work out all this outcry is due to someone somewhere being greedy and wanting a payment for that which is given free. The signal for TV programmes goes out anyway whether the person is paying the full fee for a licence or not. The same with bus passes, that bus will be travelling that route irrespective if there are paying passengers or not.

The problem seems to be that the bus operator, so I understand gets paid by government (local council) around 50p for each journey with a bus pass. I don't know how the free TV licence works but no doubt it's similar.

All that needs to happen is for anyone in possession of either a free bus pass or free TV licence is to receive that service free with no payment going to either the bus company or the BBC.

It's the usual problem with this country – greed and it's not doing anyone any good IMO.
Baz46

22-06-2019, 08:57 AM

An update for everyone who signed this petition.

The government petition reached 100,000 signatures as required for a debate in parliament. The final number of votes was 171,980 and the debate is due to be held 15 July 2019.

The debate can be viewed on the UK Parliament You Tube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/UKParliament
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2019, 09:08 AM

I heard a suggestion from someone that as with the bus pass those who are over 75 and wish to have a free TV licence could apply for one.

I am on a low income and pride myself on my ability to live on very little and to pay my way. The entertainment I get from my radio not least the ability to have it on low at night to mask my Tinnitus so I can sleep is well worth the £2.96 a week a licence costs so I would not be applying. This would leave more cash available for those worse off than myself.

Page 4 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top