Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 12:14 PM

Re: Pulled Muscle?

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Lynne, tell him to try sleeping on the floor instead of in the bed. If your bed is soft it will not help him as his back will have no real support. It could take about ten days sleeping on the floor to really ease the pain.

Also tell him to put two sturdy stand chairs about 18 inch apart, put a towel over the chair back and get him to lift his feet off the floor, he wont be able to do it for long at first but doing it several times during the day it could ease the pain.
Our bed is quite firm. I told him to lie on the floor last week but he wouldnt He said I would fall over him when I get out of bed during the night I'll get him to try the chairs though. Thanks

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Sorry to hear about your husbands pain, Lynne. I too suffer with back trouble so can appreciate how he is feeling.

May I ask if he has the pain shooting down his leg from his buttocks? If so, it could be sciatica which can last for weeks or months. But there again I would have thought his doctor would have recognised that.

I hope he gets some pain relief from the doctor, it must be making him miserable being in so much pain.
Mags, No its not sciatica. We've both had that & I know how painful it can be. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Reikiman ->
Hi Lynne,

Have you thought of trying Homeopathy. Arnica capsules of 30c strength might help.

As might going to a McTimoney Chiropractor. These are more gentle than just plain Chiropractors and seem to work wonders. Worked on my shoulder.

Also, Reflexology can be good at helping to relieve painful conditions.

They might be worth trying.

I hope your husband's condition improves soon.
I'll get him some arnica tomorrow & try that. & see what he says about reflexology & a Chiropractor. Thanks for the suggestions
Reikiman
Solihull, UK
Reikiman is male  Reikiman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 01:07 PM

Just checking - it has to be a McTimoney Chiropractor. They don't 'twist and crack' like plain Chiropractors.
Lynne55
Lancs.

22-01-2012, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Reikiman ->
Just checking - it has to be a McTimoney Chiropractor. They don't 'twist and crack' like plain Chiropractors.
Thanks Paul. I've just had a look for the nearest one & its Liverpool. Its difficult for him to get in the car at the moment to get there though. We'll keep it in mind though
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 06:48 PM

sorry to hear about your hubby Lynne, Tramadol are from my experience not well suited by a lot of people, i sometimes wonder why they are prescribed so often.

apart from all the great advice everyone has given you, another suggestion which may help is a heat pad, Argos do a really good one which switches off after 20 minutes, so he could use it in bed to help him get off to sleep, and re set it if he wakes.
Lynne55
Lancs.

22-01-2012, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Kitty ->
apart from all the great advice everyone has given you, another suggestion which may help is a heat pad, Argos do a really good one which switches off after 20 minutes, so he could use it in bed to help him get off to sleep, and re set it if he wakes.
Thanks Kitty I'll look at them tomorrow when I go to town. I told him to try lying on the floor so this afternoon when I went out with Taffy he did. Trouble was he couldnt get back up again - he had to wait until I came home to pull him up You've got to laugh If he slept like that at night & he needed to go to the Loo - as he does every couple of hours he'd be stuck
He didnt eat all his tea tonight as he said he felt too shattered - not like him at all Apparently the pain started in his groin & hip area & he thought it was the start of Arthritis in his hip - he was thinking the worse & had himself down for a new hip I said it wouldnt come on so quick & stay so long. The pain then spread to his back & now its in his back, shoulders & neck. I suppose that is caused by holding himself in a funny position to try to ease the back pain.
If he takes some Co-codamol & Ibruprofen before bed it does give him a couple of hours sleep before they wear off & now he has started taking some more in the middle of the night just to last him till morning.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions - much appreciated.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 08:18 PM

Lynne darlin' - just remember when he sees Doctor to ask him for some Oromorph - its longer lasting than Co-codomol and he'll sleep a little better for a while longer. The only thing is, like Co-codomol it does have unpleasant side effects. To counteract those he'll need some Senna tablets too.

Yeah I know, shake him vigorously and he'll rattle with all the tablets he's taking but tell him he can join my club.
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lynne55 ->
Thanks Kitty I'll look at them tomorrow when I go to town. I told him to try lying on the floor so this afternoon when I went out with Taffy he did. Trouble was he couldnt get back up again - he had to wait until I came home to pull him up You've got to laugh If he slept like that at night & he needed to go to the Loo - as he does every couple of hours he'd be stuck
He didnt eat all his tea tonight as he said he felt too shattered - not like him at all Apparently the pain started in his groin & hip area & he thought it was the start of Arthritis in his hip - he was thinking the worse & had himself down for a new hip I said it wouldnt come on so quick & stay so long. The pain then spread to his back & now its in his back, shoulders & neck. I suppose that is caused by holding himself in a funny position to try to ease the back pain.
If he takes some Co-codamol & Ibruprofen before bed it does give him a couple of hours sleep before they wear off & now he has started taking some more in the middle of the night just to last him till morning.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions - much appreciated.
Lynne here is a link to the heat pad, i have one myself and
i can confirm it really helps ease pain

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...3EHEAT+PAD.htm

i can imagine your hubby is feeling very frustrated as well as having so much pain.

I would think the pain spreading is down to his posture at the moment, he will be guarding the painful area and putting pressure on his back which will effect his neck etc.
Lynne55
Lancs.

22-01-2012, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
To counteract those he'll need some Senna tablets too.

Yeah I know, shake him vigorously and he'll rattle with all the tablets he's taking but tell him he can join my club.
The co-codamol already bung him up He's already taking loads of different tablets for lord knows what. Stuff for diabetes & about a dozen other ones He ends up with a carrier bag full of them from the chemist.

I keep well away from the docs just in case they find anything wrong with me & start me on them as well
Lynne55
Lancs.

22-01-2012, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kitty ->
Lynne here is a link to the heat pad, i have one myself and
i can confirm it really helps ease pain

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...3EHEAT+PAD.htm

i can imagine your hubby is feeling very frustrated as well as having so much pain.

I would think the pain spreading is down to his posture at the moment, he will be guarding the painful area and putting pressure on his back which will effect his neck etc.
Thanks Kitty. We've got one of these
http://www.snugnights.co.uk/productc...Throw-p185.htm
He usually just uses it to cover his legs without it being switched on if he's feeling a bit cold. I've just put in over the back of the chair so that he is sitting on it & switched it on. He has draped it round his shoulders as well & covered his legs. He can try that at least downstairs before I go forking out for another type of pad.
I told him the pain spreading was probably down to his posture. When he needs to turn his head he ends up turning all his body

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top