Join for free
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2020, 09:31 PM

Tommy Emmanuel with Billy Strings

Skip to 1 minute 25 seconds for the music..

Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2020, 09:49 PM

Re: Tommy Emmanuel with Billy Strings

Originally Posted by mart ->
Skip to 1 minute 25 seconds for the music..

One of my favourites!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2020, 11:43 PM

Excellent post Mart. Billy Strings is a fine young axe man from Alabama. The kind of guy that Tommy would love playing with. Although Tommy will play with anybody who's in the mood. He's a great guy. The first time I ever saw him play was at a lunch time concert on the University of New South Wales library square. Which is actually a large lawn where students cold eat lunch and shoot the breeze. It wa 40 years ago - 1980. I was gob smacked by his playing. Been a fan ever since.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2020, 12:01 AM

What a great duet. They compliment each other so well. Just so fast. Billy Strings is 28 but I'll bet he was that good 10 years ago. Some just have an aptitude. I wish I'd had it. Always just a chord strummer.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2020, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
What a great duet. They compliment each other so well. Just so fast. Billy Strings is 28 but I'll bet he was that good 10 years ago. Some just have an aptitude. I wish I'd had it. Always just a chord strummer.

Nothing wrong with being a chord strummer. Look at Joni Mitchell for instance. Have you tried open tunings?..I am happy to talk more about this if you're interested.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

21-11-2020, 09:59 AM

Although I only did chords, I didn't always only strum them. I finger-picked too. As long as I was picking inside the chords, that was OK. Never very good at improvising outside of them.

The children all had a go at the guitar after being impressed by my playing 'House Of The Rising Sun'. I expect you'd be familiar with the chord sequence. It could be made to sound like 'The Animals' version with the thumb and 3 fingers.

Also could do a pretty folky-sounding version of Freight Train. My guitars don't get played now. I picked one up a while ago and tried to get my fingers in to the natural chord position of C but was surprised to hear dead strings when I strummed it. The fingers out of position.

But still, playing the guitar to that degree in the past makes me appreciate good guitar playing of all styles. Hence the video above. I just don't think I could ever have been that clever.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top