Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2020, 12:05 AM

A sandwich to die for

One of my favorite cooking shows is America's Test Kitchen.
Simply fabulous recipes and they show the viewers every detail of the cooking process.

Today, I saw something new that I had never heard of.

CROQUE MONSIEUR …. LITERALLY TRANSLATED AS MR. CHUNCHY.

OMG, what a fabulous looking sandwich. Only problem is that I, unfortunately, don't have smell-o-vision.

This French sandwich recipe:

butter both sides of white sandwich bread, and lightly bake them until lightly browned and crunchy. remove from oven and set aside.

Make a Mornay sauce with a dash of nutmeg. Set aside.

Spread 1 TBLSP of Mornay sauce on 1/2 of the bread slices.
Set remaining toasted bread aside.

Roll up slices of thinly sliced Black Forest Ham and place 4 or 5 slices on top of the spread Mornay sauce, to build some height.

Place the remaining slices of bread on top of the ham. Carefully spread more Mornay sauce on top of this last slice of bread. being careful to spread Mornay to the very edge of the bread. Sprinkle on more grated guyere cheese and a bit of parmesan.

Bake in oven for 5 minutes.
Turn on broiler and carefully watch them until they start to bubble and turn a spotty brown.

Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes before serving. You don't want your guests to burn their mouths.

Serve on a pie plate and eat with a knife and fork.

As I watched the show I was drooling. I'm dying to try this out.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2020, 12:25 AM

Re: A sandwich to die for

Nothing to do with male crocodiles then?

Seriously, Bakerman, if you have never had a Croque Monsieur you have never lived - they are delicious! There is also a Croque Madame - same recipe until the last stage - then you dip the whole thing in beaten egg before putting in the oven - and serve it with a fried egg on the top!
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2020, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Nothing to do with male crocodiles then?

Seriously, Bakerman, if you have never had a Croque Monsieur you have never lived - they are delicious! There is also a Croque Madame - same recipe until the last stage - then you dip the whole thing in beaten egg before putting in the oven - and serve it with a fried egg on the top!

Yes, Tabby. In fact I had never even heard of it. Certainly not on any U.S. menu I have ever seen.

Of course, in Mexico, I can't get a decent ham let alone a real black forest ham. Can't get guyere cheese here either. I'll go to a high-end grocer in the U.S to get the ingredients.

Tabby, where did you have a croque Monsieur ???? In Paris ?
Please tell me all about it .
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2020, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Yes, Tabby. In fact I had never even heard of it. Certainly not on any U.S. menu I have ever seen.

Of course, in Mexico, I can't get a decent ham let alone a real black forest ham. Can't get guyere cheese here either. I'll go to a high-end grocer in the U.S to get the ingredients.

Tabby, where did you have a croque Monsieur ???? In Paris ?
Please tell me all about it .
Oddly enough the first time I tried one was in Dublin!
I was about 10 yrs old and had gone home for the school summer holidays, Grandpa met me off the boat and took me to a little cafe for breakfast. CM was their signature dish and I was fascinated watching them being made - and they were really delicious. Have made both versions many times since then. Have used Parma Ham when Black Forest ham is not available and it works very well.
bakerman
Mexico

08-11-2020, 01:00 AM

Oddly enough the first time I tried one was in Dublin!
I was about 10 yrs old and had gone home for the school summer holidays, Grandpa met me off the boat and took me to a little cafe for breakfast. CM was their signature dish and I was fascinated watching them being made - and they were really delicious. Have made both versions many times since then. Have used Parma Ham when Black Forest ham is not available and it works very well.
Lucky girl.
I'm dying here. stomach rumbling and mouth watering
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2020, 01:01 AM

Mary Berry's Croque Monsieur

https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes...roque-monsieur

An easy-to-follow guide to this classic French grilled cheese sandwich
Simple but effective - a nam'n'cheese toastie .....
bakerman
Mexico

08-11-2020, 01:12 AM

This recipe is opening up whole new avenues of possibilities.

I can't wait to try them out.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	skinny_french_kitchen_4_123_img_s600x600.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	14087  
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

08-11-2020, 01:18 AM

Go for, Bakerman, you'll love it!

Warning - they can become addictive!
bakerman
Mexico

08-11-2020, 01:56 AM

Go for, Bakerman, you'll love it!

Warning - they can become addictive!

I almost immediately thought about doing something very similar with real corned beef. (not that garbage in a can). Periodically, I take a beef brisket, blend my brine and refrigerate it for 21 days prior to cooking it. Melt in your mouth corned beef.
Now, imagine that corned beef sandwich done croque monsieur style. OMG

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	190213-corned-beef-brisket-179-1551391553.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	14088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corned-Beef-corned-beef-1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	14089  
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

08-11-2020, 07:56 AM

Hey - guess what I just had to eat for breakfast!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top