Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2020, 12:37 AM

Re: Tip for preping steaks

Apparently a variation is ham glazed with coffee and brown sugar. It's quite fascinating what people end up doing with their ham to make it tender and tasty.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2020, 09:25 AM

Polish and Portuguese pork are superior quality & taste.
QUOTE=AnnieS;2004507]Is this because others put hormones or antibiotics into the animal?

I noticed that a lot of regular food bought in supermarkets in Portugal tasted pretty good, as though there are less additives. [/QUOTE]

.... may have something to do with it.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2020, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
On the related subject of ham...has anyone done that thing of boiling it in coke first for a couple of hours before squirting honey/syrup (with maybe some cloves stuck in) over it and finishing it off in the oven?

Never understood the purpose of the coke. Have used it and also plain water, with there being no difference in final flavour nor texture.
I have never actually boiled a ham for hours prior to baking it. However, I have baked my hams with cross-hatch cuts and stuck whole cloves in the cuts and then baked it low and slow and basted it with coke. Yummy !
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2020, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I have never actually boiled a ham for hours prior to baking it. However, I have baked my hams with cross-hatch cuts and stuck whole cloves in the cuts and then baked it low and slow and basted it with coke. Yummy !
I think the idea of boiling it is to replace the long time in the oven cooking it through at a lowish temp (saw one tv cook wrapping a ham in 3 layers of foil, blasting it for 30 mins in oven before a long cooking of 6-10 hours on low depending on size). Covering it with something to glaze it is quick, and water is unlikely to penetrate the ham anyway.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2020, 11:55 PM

Sorry to keep on the ham rather than steak conversation, but this is fascinating because as a result the thread I was hungrily looking at a gammon joint in sainsbury's yesterday. Just wondering - smoked or unsmoked and reasons for the choice?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Sorry to keep on the ham rather than steak conversation, but this is fascinating because as a result the thread I was hungrily looking at a gammon joint in sainsbury's yesterday. Just wondering - smoked or unsmoked and reasons for the choice?
To be honest, I have no idea what we get. Will ask Mrs Dex.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 09:14 AM

I slow cook ham in marmalade....its lovely..

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top