Join for free
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2020, 09:17 AM

Huge requests for dogs

The dog sanctuary from whence came my lovely dog Mungo - The Collie Spot has in the last month received 1200 requests to adopt six dogs !
I supose this is the lock down effect !
The Collie Spot is run by a devoted woman Gill White who always has a huge amount of dogs awaiting places at the spot.
Some stay there for ever as they are not suitable to be rehomed.ie cannot be touched or unsafe in some way or need special care ie blind
It’s such a wonderful place .
Collies seem to be back in fashion whenever I go out i see a collie they are great dogs . I went for a walk the other day and saw two working collies herding sheep . One ran up to mungo and came to say hello i think she was saying hey you can’t you see we need a hand here ! ( There were a lot of sheep ) Mungo is completely safe with sheep but is not a trained sheep dog ) so basically could only look a bit sheepish .
Meanwhile the patient farmer clearly wished he had brought an extra dog to herd all the Christmas amblers to the nearest stile.
Watching the sheep jump the stream one by one had made us all a bit sleepy !
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2020, 06:22 PM

Re: Huge requests for dogs

Gosh! All those people wanting the dogs. I hope she vets them thoroughly.
We got our last Collie from a rescue, they were from a farm Collie who got out so no idea who was the father.The farmer did find pet homes for most, but the other 2 went to the rescue home.
She did look like a Collie, but no papers.

With my Daughter in our garden.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-01-23-2200-44(1).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	14381  
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2020, 07:40 PM

Would be owners are vetted and you have to sign a contract that if it doesn’t work out the dog is always returned to the rescues.
Puppies you have to have them spayed or neutered .
However her success rate is amazing and there is great support for the rescue .
Many of the collies come from wales and even Ireland dogs not all dogs bred for sheep farming are suitable to work sheep or do trials.

Of course they didn’t vet 1200 people they took the first six good homes,
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 12:54 AM

I hope these dogs are for life and not just for covid!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

28-12-2020, 02:00 AM

Some are not even for a few days people are paying thousands of pounds for puppies ie £3000 for a Labrador pup only to find thei child is ‘allergic’ five days later.
What they mean is the mother is allergic to cleaning up after a puppy that has pooped on the carpet ,chewed up the shoes and cries at night .
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 03:35 PM

Collies have a natural instinct, when it comes to herding sheep, i have had the pleasure of watching them in action, my friend has two Collies, she has a farm, and sheep,...have you ever tried herding sheep without a collie, we tried one day without them, sheep are a nightmare to herd , thank God for those Collies.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 04:01 PM

Hi

I would love another dog.

Simply not an option at the moment.

I have to be sensible about it.

We have a dog walking scheme here, so when I can walk further I will be taking one for a walk.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top