Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2020, 09:57 AM

Porridge Oats

How do you cook them?

I have gone by the instructions, but they need way longer than 3 mins,..I haven’t cooked porridge in yrs, I added cream to mine plus syrup, but still feel they could have cooked a little longer,..should I soak them over night?.....advise please.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2020, 10:03 AM

Re: Porridge Oats

What brand/type are you using ..... ?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2020, 10:10 AM

Hi Omah,

By Sainsbury’s, my dog enjoyed a little of the porridge, I made sure I looked it up online first, making sure it was safe.

They were nice , but felt the oats could have been softer/ cooked more.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	C6D03346-8043-4BC0-9E14-AF10B3E89950.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	14397  
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2020, 10:33 AM

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/...20piping%20hot.

Cooking instructions: Hob

To cook on the hob: 3-4 mins Before cooking: Place 40g of product per person in a saucepan. Add 220mls of cold milk per person (water can be used for a less creamy porridge). During cooking: Bring to the boil and simmer, stirring continuously. After cooking: Check food is piping hot. Do not reheat once cooled. All cooking appliances vary. This is a guide only.

Cooking instructions: Microwave

Microwave: Before cooking: Place 40g of product in a large microwaveable bowl. Stir in 220mls of cold milk (water can be used for a less creamy porridge). Do not cover, microwave on full power for the full time. During cooking: Stir half way through. After cooking: Check food is piping hot. Allow to stand for 2 minutes before serving. Do not reheat once cooled. All cooking appliances vary. This is a guide only. Cat D - 750W. 5 minutes (1 serving). Cat E - 850W. 4 minutes (1 serving).
On the hob, I would make sure that the mix comes to the boil and simmer the full 4 minutes before letting it cool for a couple of minutes.

In the microwave, use a very large microwaveable bowl, stir well before the second heating, during which prepare to stop cooking if there's a risk of "volcanic" overflow and, when the time is up, let it cool for a couple of minutes.

I prefer the microwave method - quicker and less to wash up ..... .

However, not all oats are the same and some, IMO, never fully "cook" - but some people like them that way. In summer, instead of cooking oats, I prepare a mix with milk and fruit and leave it to soak overnight in the fridge - I eat it uncooked .....

Brands differ widely, too - I have tried dozens but my favourite is Quaker Wholegrain Rolled Oats - they do produce a smooth mix .....

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2020, 10:50 AM

I have eaten Flahavans organic jumbo oats for years

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produc...97-92753-92754

I put one measure (a small ramekin) of oats to two and a bit of water into a basin /stir/ place in the microwave and when it rises up the bowl stir again and put back for another moment.
Result lovely creamy porridge.

You can cook it on the stove using the same quantity then stirring till ready.

I serve with the top of the milk, no sugar.

Many oats are grown for quantity not quality and taste like wallpaper paste (or how I imagine it tastes from the smell) , Flahavans are one exception they tastes like oats used to taste when I was a child. .
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2020, 10:56 AM

I use the Quick Oats (the only difference is the way they are ground) If I only have rolled oats then I soak them overnight

I cup of water
Third of a cup of oats (I like runny Butlins porridge you might prefer it slightly thicker)

2.22 mins in the microwave. (2.20 would be fine it is just easier to press the number 2 three times) Actually you might need to adjust for your microwave - I just let it rise volcanicly but without spilling out of the bowl.

Add a blob of butter stand for a little while then add milk. I don't use sugar in anything

Perfect porridge
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2020, 11:00 AM

I cook Scotts porridge oats every morning for Rosemary.

In a dessert bowl I spoon four heaped dessert spoons of oats and 200ml of whole milk and stir.
I then microwave on full power for two minutes then stir.
Then I microwave for a further minute, leave it to stand for a minute and then it's ready.
Rosemary sweetens hers slightly with honey, but personally I prefer it unsweetened if I have some too.
macywack
north west, england
macywack is male  macywack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2020, 11:03 AM

i have my "ping" porridge, only takes 2 mins
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2020, 12:57 PM

I haven't made porridge for ages but usually sprinkle half spoon sugar on mine, mixed with cinnamon. I always do mine with milk, and cook on the hob. Must check the cupboard see if I still have any.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2020, 01:17 PM

Hi

These are multigrain oats with rye, spelt etc,

They are designed to have a bit of a crunch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top