Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 04:16 PM

Using frozen meat

I keep reading conflicting information about whether it is safe to put frozen meat straight into a slow cooker.

Some recipes and websites say it's fine and quite safe, while others warn about possible bacteria not being killed off doing it this way.

For those with slow cookers, what do you do please?
Have you used frozen meat without any problems, or do you always defrost yours first?

Thanks.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 04:19 PM

Re: Using frozen meat

Hi Mups when cooking in any way any meat that has been frozen I always thaw it first .

I do this to obtain even cooking and the best results.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Mups when cooking in any way any meat that has been frozen I always thaw it first .

Well I must admit I always have defrosted too, Meg, but I was told you don't have to with slow cookers, so not sure what to do.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

Hi

Same here Meg

Defrost it, then brown it and then use as normal.

I am not going out at the moment, so asked Sabina to get some at trade from her mates at the meat packers.

The only reductions where on stuff we normally export or which is used by posh restaurants.

Lamb neck 80p a kilo., lamb shanks 4 for £5, breast of lamb 4 for £5.

Beef flank and chuck, £1.30 a kilo, but a lot of waste on it.

Beef cheeks
£1 a kilo.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 06:58 PM

I always defrost frozen meat before I cook
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 08:26 PM

I leave the frozen joint etc in its plastic film in the top of the refrigerator over night to thaw from that morning and then cook it as normal the following day. I think a too quick a thaw might cause structure problems where a slow process in the fridge does not.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 08:51 PM

I, too, also defrost my frozen meat before cooking it. Whether it be in a slow cooker or not. Flavor is greatly enhanced by browning it before cooking.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

17-01-2021, 10:21 PM

I admit browning certainly makes it look nicer too, Bakerman.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 10:24 PM

I wouldn't cook chicken from frozen but I've cooked shin beef from frozen without too many issues. Truth be told, I was too idle to defrost the meat and brown it as I usually would, but in this case I just chucked it in my slow cooker with a bit of stock while rushing out on my way to work. Set the cooker on low and forgot about it until I got home. Added some par-boiled onions and carrots when I got home and left it a bit longer. Wasn't all that bad to be honest.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 11:17 PM

Defrost everything - always. And in the fridge. With meat be safe or be a vegetarian.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top