Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2013, 01:02 AM

Les Miserables.

I have been to see this film this evening. It is the most powerful film I have ever seen. The performance by Hugh Jackman was absolutely outstanding. I hope he wins awards for this.
It would melt the hardest heart. There was not even the scrunching of a sweet packet through the entire film, absolute silence. There was applause from the audience at the end, never known that in a cinema before. Absolute magic.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2013, 02:44 AM

Re: Les Miserables.

To be honest I was very underwhelmed by the film. It did have an emotional response which was its only saving grace but then so has every performance of the show that I have seen.

Frankly I thought the 25 year anniversary concert and the recent local amateur Roo Theatre performance were better.

Very disappointed in it even the direction was very average.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2013, 09:40 AM

I haven't seen a stage performance but I fully intend too.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2013, 11:50 AM

Pleased you enjoyed it Mal I have heard from a number of people that it has been very well done.
Happybunbun
New Member!
Peterborough
Happybunbun is female 

07-02-2013, 03:39 PM

I have seen Le Mis twice on stage and thought it was wonderful. Hopefully I am going to see the film with my son in a week's time, but I will have to sellotape my mouth, though, to stop me singing the words and annoying the audience.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2013, 12:45 AM

I saw the film about 10 days ago and loved it. I wasn't sure if I would as I've seen the show at the theatre in London around 8 or 9 times over a number of years and just couldn't imagine it as a film and I wasn't disappointed. Even though I've seen it numerous times and know the story and music inside out it never fails to "get to me" and I always need the tissues!!
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2013, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
To be honest I was very underwhelmed by the film. It did have an emotional response which was its only saving grace but then so has every performance of the show that I have seen.

Frankly I thought the 25 year anniversary concert and the recent local amateur Roo Theatre performance were better.

Very disappointed in it even the direction was very average.
Thank the Lord someone else in the world agrees with me! I'm totally puzzled by the over-reaction of people who've seen this film. My neighbour's seen it several times, both at the cinema and on stage and keeps telling me how enthralling it is. I was beginning to think there was something wrong with me. I did enjoy the film - although I hated the fact that the dialogue was sung (didn't know until I went). It's a good story and I'm now considering reading the book, but I certainly wouldn't want to see it again now I know the plot. As for crying, no way .... and I heard some people actually stand up and clap at the end! Perleese, what's that all about? Who exactly are they applauding? I didn't notice any of the actors in the seats around me.
mesco m
manchester

08-02-2013, 08:46 PM

It seems they were applauding the fact that, in their opinion, it was an excellent and very moving film. And that's my opinion too.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2013, 09:05 PM

A version of Les Miserables was shown the TV not so long ago. It was the 1998 film starring Liam Neeson, Jeremy Rush and Uma Thurman. I quite enjoyed this version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlQjT3HKPtY
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2013, 10:58 PM

I thought it was too long and having Russell Crowe was a poor choice. The singing of what should have been speech was grating.
That said ,there were moments of pure excellence.

No tissues necessary for me. BUt, what do I know. the final scene of "Its a wonderful life" gets me every time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top