Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2016, 02:33 AM

Re: Animal Testing

Funnily enough, I have just been reading about this tonight.

"Government figures released in 2015 show more than 700,000 experiments forced animals to suffer severely (184,240 or moderately (557,707).
'Severe' suffering can include collapsed lungs, internal bleeding, heart failure, nerve damage and infections. T
The majority of the animals were then killed at the end of the experiments."

What a life. Tortured from beginning to end.

The National Anti-Vivisection Society that as science gradually moves away from animal testing, that alternatives such as organs on chips, cell cultures and computer modelling will be available.
Tnhey also say "The level of suffering that animals are experiencing in Britain's laboratories is shameful. Until now, the pain and distress these animals were forced to endure was unknown; the research industry's dirty secret. There is an urgent need for more transparency and accountability in animal research, so these extreme tests can be reviewed and replaced with advanced non-animal methods.
These dogs did not give their consent to be tested on."
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2016, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
.... These dogs did not give their consent to be tested on."
If scientists had waited for animals to provide "consent",
the world would today be without incredible treatments which our forebears could not even imagine.
And millions of humans would have suffered and died and still be suffering and dying.

That said, whilst I'm aware that dogs have been used, I suspect that mice, rats, guinea 'pigs' and primates have been used more in research.
So I'm wondering if there are some specific dogs you are referring to as it does not seem to have been raised here.

Anyway, if my wife or child or grandchild had some life-threatening problem which could be resolved easily with some treatment produced via animal testing,
I'm bloody sure I would not deny them that treatment.
Would you ?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2016, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
If scientists had waited for animals to provide "consent",
the world would today be without incredible treatments which our forebears could not even imagine.
And millions of humans would have suffered and died and still be suffering and dying.

That said, whilst I'm aware that dogs have been used, I suspect that mice, rats, guinea 'pigs' and primates have been used more in research.
So I'm wondering if there are some specific dogs you are referring to as it does not seem to have been raised here.
[/B]
And they still are suffering and dying.

Some people believe test results are fundamentally flawed anyway, due to the differences between dog and human physiology - for example - grapes, Ibuprofen and chocolate are safe for humans, but not for dogs.

You seem to think its fine to use primates too. Do you think these do not feel pain or experience fear then?

My post was from an organisation called http://www.beaglefreedomproject.org/
who have rescued 550 Beagles from a living hell since they started in 2010. Now they have just rescued 4 more.
They find these dogs to be scared of human contact, (I wonder why), not used to being handled, terrified of household noises - even a television, and some took up to a year to settle down in their foster homes. They haven't a clue how to manage stairs or what a soft bed is for, and toys are completely alien.

Now authorised planning permission for expansion to the Yorkshire labs has been granted, but 16,000 people have so far signed a petition to disallow puppy farms in the UK to breed Beagles specifically for animal testing.

www.beaglefreedomproject.org/

I could never a trust someone who tortured animals day in, day out for a job. I don't know how they sleep at night.

Who the hell are you to think your life is far more important than another's life? I am quite sure the animal's life was equally important to them.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2016, 11:40 AM

^^^^^^

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	8522590-I-agree-checkbox-with-green-check-mark-Stock-Photo.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	508  
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2016, 11:44 AM

Been there,seen it done it. That was a lifetime ago. Today I am still ashamed by the things I was party to. 98% of animal use is repetetive bollex-it`s that 2% I still think may be useful
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2016, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by CailinRua ->
No to animal testing.
Yes to testing on murderers and rapists. They forfeited any human rights they had the moment they committed their heinous crimes. Make them suffer as their victims suffered.
Very Hitleresqe indeed !
CailinRua
The High Coast
CailinRua is female  CailinRua has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2016, 01:16 PM

The difference, Malcolm, is that the Jewish people were innocent and didn't deserve their fate. Murderers and rapists no longer count as human in my book for their uncivilised behaviour. Especially if they did it to a member of my family.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

18-03-2016, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
^^^^^^
Thanks clumsy.
I shan't contribute any more to this subject now though because I haven't the patience to try and educate people who has so little compassion for other lives.

These animals don't need money and possessions like humans do, all they have is their life and their health, and even that is taken away from them.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2016, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by CailinRua ->
The difference, Malcolm, is that the Jewish people were innocent and didn't deserve their fate. Murderers and rapists no longer count as human in my book for their uncivilised behaviour. Especially if they did it to a member of my family.
I agree.
Why use innocent animals when you can use those who have taken life and are a useless burden on society.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2016, 05:13 PM

I agree with those brave people on here who have stuck their necks out and suggested that what is presently done to innocent animals should, instead, be done to our worse criminals.

No-one has mentioned a possible 'by-product': that such testing might act as an additional deterrent to those who would commit murder, rape and paedophilia.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top