Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 11:01 AM

Re: Charity Shop Bargains

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I get most of my clothes from charity shops. Friends are often surprised by my wardrobe of "designer" clothes but the truth is I could never afford to buy them new. I got a wonderful nearly new £400+ leather jacket from one of our local charity shops for £30. Most of my extensive guitar collection is from charity shops or car boot sales - bought for a fraction of their actual worth.
Wow that's interesting Mick. What makes have you bought?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
The idea of wearing something a stranger has worn would freak me out.

They could even have died wearing them!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
They could even have died wearing them!
Whether dead or alive when the clothes were last worn, I would not purchase anything worn by someone I don't know. I would have no problem wearing something in which a relative had died, if it was worth wearing after they had kicked the bucket. Death has never phased me.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 11:56 AM

Nor me, besides clothes are second hand once they've been worn whoever wears them. As long as they're washed.
It's a good way to recycle and a waste to throw them out.
Think of them as antiques
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 12:39 PM

Not everyone can afford new clothes, I think it is a good thing that those that need them, can afford the charity shops. I have bought books, someone may have died reading them, I don't think of that.
I volunteer in a care home for those with Dementia, I scour the charity shops looking for jigsaw puzzles, not too many pieces, and not too childish, many of my local shops put them by for me.
Newcomer
Dorset
Newcomer is female  Newcomer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 12:44 PM

There are some really good things in Charityshops. I bought a cream coloured jacket recently that looked as if it had never been worn. No creases on the lining or the label. Some charity shops do have rubbish in them and smell musty but you have the choice of walking out of those. There is a breast cancer shop near us that is very good.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Newcomer ->
There are some really good things in Charityshops. I bought a cream coloured jacket recently that looked as if it had never been worn. No creases on the lining or the label. Some charity shops do have rubbish in them and smell musty but you have the choice of walking out of those. There is a breast cancer shop near us that is very good.
You are in Poole???? I think I know the shop.
I agree AVOID the smelly ones
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 01:01 PM

Charity shops aren’t the ‘charity’ places they used to be, they are big business now and most are expensive.
Every one of them local to me are always having refits and refurbishments done, who pays for that?

When l have gone in some charity shops for CDs for my car, you can hear the workers talking to the dealers, who they put stuff by for. I have even heard the shop workers choosing stuff for their next boot sale! (Yes, l know they work for free)
I think most of the good stuff is gone before the customers get a look in.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

23-09-2018, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Charity shops aren’t the ‘charity’ places they used to be, they are big business now and most are expensive.
Every one of them local to me are always having refits and refurbishments done, who pays for that?

When l have gone in some charity shops for CDs for my car, you can hear the workers talking to the dealers, who they put stuff by for. I have even heard the shop workers choosing stuff for their next boot sale! (Yes, l know they work for free)
I think most of the good stuff is gone before the customers get a look in.
What a shame!!!!! But I do believe you Art if there is something to be exploited these days!!!!
I remember the charity workers scandal ........
Nah not going there - Sorry
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I get most of my clothes from charity shops. Friends are often surprised by my wardrobe of "designer" clothes but the truth is I could never afford to buy them new. I got a wonderful nearly new £400+ leather jacket from one of our local charity shops for £30. Most of my extensive guitar collection is from charity shops or car boot sales - bought for a fraction of their actual worth.
Yep! I’m with buddy here. I purchase half my clothes at Value Village which is a charity shop for used things but the clothes are washed before I wear them.

The great thing about these places is that the diversity is off the charts. You can find some gorgeous designer stuff, some of it brand new with tags still on, for next to nothing. Instead of purchasing one nice winter coat, I’ll get 4 of them. I get everything except for shoes, bathing suites, socks / stockings and of course underwear. The money I save I purchase nice boots, shoes and fancy underwear.

My sister in law will never buy anything at a charity shop either but she pays full price for everything. Probably because she’s wealthy so can I think even if I were wealthy I’d still shop at these places. It’s sooo much fun. Last Friday I went there and picked up an entire autumn wardrobe for $107.00

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top