Join for free
Page 3 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 01:08 PM

Re: Are you proud to be British?

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Miaow!
Is that it as usual? You haven't mentioned the 18th century.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 01:11 PM

I'm very proud to be English, British and a citizen of the United Kingdom. and hold up two fingers to all those who would put this country down whilst forgetting the cost it took for their freedom to even criticise the same."Away wi yeh" as my mum used to say.

Okay, we may well be going through a bad patch at the moment with what seems similar to the pincer movements surrounding this country during WW11, but this is just one of those "moments in time". We will get through it as we always do, and good times will eventually return, life will go on with us enjoying the best freedoms in the world. We are British!

RULE BRITANNIA !
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Britain was just as bad as any other invader when gaining its empire. I am so glad it has lost most of it now.
Any Country that does well for itself does so at cost to others whether it's through trade or invasion. People are no different. You often flaunt your wealth, that is always at someone else's cost. The rich make the poor so to speak.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I'm very proud to be English, British and a citizen of the United Kingdom. and hold up two fingers to all those who would put this country down whilst forgetting the cost it took for their freedom to even criticise the same."Away wi yeh" as my mum used to say.

Okay, we may well be going through a bad patch at the moment with what seems similar to the pincer movements surrounding this country during WW11, but this is just one of those "moments in time". We will get through it as we always do, and good times will eventually return, life will go on with us enjoying the best freedoms in the world. We are British!

RULE BRITANNIA !
YAY - Well said, I am with you girl.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 01:28 PM

Oh well ... another thread to bin as personalities seem to be in danger of burying the true spirit of a decent discussion.
I don't know why I bother.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 01:29 PM

Thanks for your responses.

My own point of view is that we still have a lot to be proud of, despite those who despise and make fun of this country, and I include many of our politicians. And, no, I'm not talking about Brexit.

It seems that there is less pride in our country amongst the younger people. Why should that be? According to the article, one influence on the millennials is the strongly left-wing leaning of university and college lecturers, who prefer to teach such things as Marxist politics whilst completely ignoring the history of this country. It seems that the good things we have done throughout history are not even worthy of mention; it is trendy to concentrate on the bad things.

Another influence in persuading people of all ages to be anti-British is the activities of our politicians and other authorities who, as many have said elsewhere on this forum, are incompetent at best and corrupt at worst. How can anyone be proud to be British when we see such things?

If you have read the readers' comments under the article, perhaps it should be pointed out that the Mail on Sunday is as far left-leaning as the Daily Mail is to the right!

On a personal level, I have always been proud to be British... until three or four decades ago, when my opinions began to change. Things have been happening in this country, mostly due to factors beyond my control, and it appears that we are presently on a bit of a downward slope.

Our only hope is that your young people will begin to see the stupidity of what they are being brainwashed into believing. Whether they do or not, the future lies in their hands and if they continue along their present course it is they who will have to live with the consequences.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 01:32 PM

I don't even consider myself to be British. I'm Scottish.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Any Country that does well for itself does so at cost to others whether it's through trade or invasion. People are no different. You often flaunt your wealth, that is always at someone else's cost. The rich make the poor so to speak.
I am not wealthy, just careful with our dosh.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 01:48 PM

On a personal level, I have always been proud to be British... until three or four decades ago, when my opinions began to change. Things have been happening in this country, mostly due to factors beyond my control, and it appears that we are presently on a bit of a downward slope.
You keep insisting that we are heading fo the land of milk and honey now!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I don't even consider myself to be British. I'm Scottish.
And so you should too Roxy, same as we English, Welsh and Irish. With regard to being English usually comes the pride in being a Londoner, Brummy, Mancunian, Yorkie, Lancastrian and in my own case - Salopian and so on.

We are most definitely still tribal, even in these modern times.

Page 3 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top