Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 11:23 AM

Re: Why Did You Forsake Us Ireland?

[QUOTE=swimfeeders;1525217]Hi

Ancient history is just that, Ancient.

More recent history is relevant.

The IRA planted a bomb and deliberately targeted children, including my two.

My initial reaction as a Dad is very simple, kill them.

I am logical, they have stopped planting bombs, so me kicking off would be no help at all.

The violence has stopped, that is a winner.

Agree Swimmy. Britain is expected by one and all to keep apologising for its actions from centuries ago, when recent history is more important than quoting dates and figures.

We could indeed ask for an apology from the Irish for the horrific Birmingham pub bombing where countless innocent people were slaughtered, or the Tower of London bombing where innocent tourists were targeted, or perhaps the Hyde Park bombing where the IRA didn't give a damn how many were killed when they targeted both men and animals.

But history, as awful as it was, is just that, history!
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Itsme, your unnecessary attempt at scoring brownie points with your last sentence aside, I am the first to hold my hands up if I make a mistake.
I don't profess to know a great deal regarding the history of the Romans and Scotland, but it is a known fact that Roman coins have been found in the Scottish lowlands dated as far back as 100 AD. so my understanding is that no-one really knows when the Roman Legion warring tribes first invaded Scotland. (I'm sure someone with knowledge on Scottish History may be able to put me in the picture).
SG. Brownie points are not my thing and I'm sorry you saw it that way, and I'm glad that there is at least some one on this forum who can admit to making mistakes.

But I'm sure you would agree that facts are important rather than just opinion.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by itsme ->
SG. Brownie points are not my thing and I'm sorry you saw it that way, and I'm glad that there is at least some one on this forum who can admit to making mistakes.

Hi

The one thing you should remember is this.

No Deal means WTO Rules and WTO Rules mean a hard Border.

it is a huge gamble Varadkar is taking, if he gets it wrong it means the partition of Ireland.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 11:50 AM

Thats fair enough itsme, and thank you for the apology.
Facts are indeed more important rather than just opinion.
Problem with me, I keep referring back to my schooldays and recollection of history, and that was a long, long time ago, hence my brain has taken in a great deal of info since then so some facts and figures have no doubt escaped through my ears!
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The one thing you should remember is this.

No Deal means WTO Rules and WTO Rules mean a hard Border.

it is a huge gamble Varadkar is taking, if he gets it wrong it means the partition of Ireland.
It also means that services are not covered, it also means a hard border between Gibraltar and Spain (don't recall any one bringing that one up), it also means a hard border in a number of Caribbean Islands which are presently run between Britain and other EU countries, it also means that the electricity grid in Ireland as a whole (guaranteed by the EU) would be in difficulty.
So I'm sure it isn't Varadka who is taking the gamble. What a mess the voters got us in to think we could just leave without any constituencies.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 12:17 PM

It also means that services are not covered, it also means a hard border between Gibraltar and Spain (don't recall any one bringing that one up), it also means a hard border in a number of Caribbean Islands which are presently run between Britain and other EU countries, it also means that the electricity grid in Ireland as a whole (guaranteed by the EU) would be in difficulty.
So I'm sure it isn't Varadka who is taking the gamble. What a mess the voters got us in to think we could just leave without any constituencies.
Hi

Services are not covered in any scenario the EU is offering, so that part of your post is not relevant.

Gibraltar is also irrelevant, the Spanish have been trying to close it down for ages, nothing changes.

You are in denial, varadkar is the one pushing, he has refused all our offers of a soft Border.

Upon his head be it, if we leave with No Deal it is down to him, which means a Hard Border in Ireland and if we have any sense, the abolition of the Common Travel Area and the destruction of the Irish Economy.

He is the one doing the threatening, he is the one forcing the issue and saying that he will vote down any deal unless we cave in to his demands.

He can swan off.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

23-09-2018, 12:37 PM

Hi

Services are not covered in any scenario the EU is offering, so that part of your post is not relevant.

Gibraltar is also irrelevant, the Spanish have been trying to close it down for ages, nothing changes.

You are in denial, varadkar is the one pushing, he has refused all our offers of a soft Border.

Upon his head be it, if we leave with No Deal it is down to him, which means a Hard Border in Ireland and if we have any sense, the abolition of the Common Travel Area and the destruction of the Irish Economy.

He is the one doing the threatening, he is the one forcing the issue and saying that he will vote down any deal unless we cave in to his demands.

He can swan off.
That rings true Swimmy. I believe Varadkar is vying for the position of being the man who united the whole of Ireland, all with the help of the shenanaghans of the hated EU.

Fair enough if NI wish to be united, but what doesn't he understand? the government and people of NI have no wish at present to be separate from the rest of the UK. The problem is, Varadkar is so full of his own self-importance, he refuses to even contemplate any other view than his own selfish one, and if this means his pathetic attempt to skewer the UK, so be it. He will not succeed!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 12:43 PM

Many agendas are being pursued, trying to use Brexit to gain advantages.
itsme
Wigan UK

23-09-2018, 01:21 PM

Hi

He can swan off.
Oopp's but I've just checked, you where talking about WTO weren't you? and not what the EU are offering.

"Gibraltar is irrelevant" well that a sweeping statement if ever I heard one, is it because 93% of them voted to stay in the EU like 50% of the countries that make up the UK?

Maybe you didn't notice, we already have a soft border between NI and Ireland, I believe he is just expecting what we agreed to in December and so are the EU.

Oh dear you are and angry man, go for a couple of pints and calm down.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 02:04 PM

You patronising prat!
this is uncalled for and shows your lack of manners! bog off!

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top