Join for free
Page 4 of 20 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 02:16 PM

Re: Are you proud to be British?

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
And so you should too Roxy, same as we English, Welsh and Irish. With regard to being English usually comes the pride in being a Londoner, Brummy, Mancunian, Yorkie, Lancastrian and in my own case - Salopian and so on.

We are most definitely still tribal, even in these modern times.
Regardless of which part of the UK we are from, we should be able to feel proud of our country.

Although I find it sad to see the way this country is going at the moment, I still live in hope that the tide will turn.

However, for that to happen it really depends on us. After all, we elect the idiot politicians. Consequently, what happens in future is really down to us.

The unfortunate thing is that there is now an increasing number of people - mostly young people, it appears - who seem to have little interest in making the country a better place.

There is far too much 'self self self' these days.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 02:20 PM

I'm proud to be English/British and this meme was posted on a 'vote leave' site. I actually agree with it.
The same people who settled here and their families will now complain and try to overthrow party leaders or governments. Who the heck do they think they are ?
Obviously they never had relatives who died in the WWI , enabling Britain to be a place of refuge for them in WWII.

eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 02:24 PM

I'm no more proud to be British than I would be to be French or German or any other nationality. I just happened to be born here, that's all.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
I'm proud to be English/British and this meme was posted on a 'vote leave' site. I actually agree with it.
The same people who settled here and their families will now complain and try to overthrow party leaders or governments. Who the heck do they think they are ?
Obviously they never had relatives who died in the WWI , enabling Britain to be a place of refuge for them in WWII.

Excellent! That puts it in a nutshell.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Any Country that does well for itself does so at cost to others whether it's through trade or invasion. People are no different. You often flaunt your wealth, that is always at someone else's cost. The rich make the poor so to speak.
Too true. And how about attracting doctors, nurses and other skilled persons to these shores? The country gains at the expense of the countries they left.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 02:37 PM

Be proud of your country, homeland, home. Keep close to your heart your land, people (including immigrants who want to assimilate and become productive citizens) and culture. Being proud has nothing to do with working on issues from within. This business of downplaying apologizing for what we are is ridiculous.

History is loaded with cultures that became so apathetic that when some reich came rolling into town with spider flags they stood limply with their arms hanging down at their sides thinking, "Meh, what difference could it make?"

I'm proud to be an American and I'm proud of my country. Period. Wherever you are, I hope you are the same.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I'm very proud to be English, British and a citizen of the United Kingdom. and hold up two fingers to all those who would put this country down whilst forgetting the cost it took for their freedom to even criticise the same."Away wi yeh" as my mum used to say.

Okay, we may well be going through a bad patch at the moment with what seems similar to the pincer movements surrounding this country during WW11, but this is just one of those "moments in time". We will get through it as we always do, and good times will eventually return, life will go on with us enjoying the best freedoms in the world. We are British!

RULE BRITANNIA !
I hope that is true Shrops. The thing is, everyone has to pull together for that to happen but sadly I cannot see it now.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I hope that is true Shrops. The thing is, everyone has to pull together for that to happen but sadly I cannot see it now.
Why should we pull together in the wrong direction?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Why should we pull together in the wrong direction?
I rest my case.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
No why should one be proud of being the nationality to which one belongs, I just don't get it?
I'll tell you why I'm proud to be a Scot. Not that I harbour the slightest expectation that it will make you change your tune.

Scotland has a tiny population, a bit over 5m compared to USA with over 300m or the world's 7,000m. So, less than 0.1% of the total. An almost insignificant proportion.

Yet, look at we have given the world.

James Watt, engineer, after the unit of power for your bulbs, electric kettle, power station etc.

Alexander Graham Bell - inventor of the telephone. The Bell Telephone Company still exists.

John Logie Baird - Inventor of television.

Sir Robert Watson-Watt - considered to be the inventor of RADAR

Alexander Fleming - discovered penicillin

James Clerk Maxwell - physicist who unified electricity, magnetism, and light in a single theory. The importance of this cannot be overstated.

James Barrie - creator of Peter Pan.

John Napier - inventor of logarithms.

I could go on.....

Page 4 of 20 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top