Join for free
Page 5 of 20 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 03:52 PM

Re: Are you proud to be British?

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I'll tell you why I'm proud to be a Scot. Not that I harbour the slightest expectation that it will make you change your tune.

Scotland has a tiny population, a bit over 5m compared to USA with over 300m or the world's 7,000m. So, less than 0.1% of the total. An almost insignificant proportion.

Yet, look at we have given the world.

James Watt, engineer, after the unit of power for your bulbs, electric kettle, power station etc.

Alexander Graham Bell - inventor of the telephone. The Bell Telephone Company still exists.

John Logie Baird - Inventor of television.

Sir Robert Watson-Watt - considered to be the inventor of RADAR

Alexander Fleming - discovered penicillin

James Clerk Maxwell - physicist who unified electricity, magnetism, and light in a single theory. The importance of this cannot be overstated.

James Barrie - creator of Peter Pan.

John Napier - inventor of logarithms.

I could go on.....
Whatever, but they aren't your own personal achievements.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 04:00 PM

Think Solo got the right word, Glad. You can achieve a lot personally, but still not feel pride, Pride cometh before a fall.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 04:08 PM

I am not sorry I have British nationality, as well as Irish nationality, which I acquired in 2008. I discovered I was entitled to do so, having had an Irish grandparent. It is just the proud bit I don't get.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I rest my case.
You do not have a case. You want to force almost 50% of the people in this country to sing your tune.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 04:31 PM

So do you .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
You do not have a case. You want to force almost 50% of the people in this country to sing your tune.
48.11% to be precise. (Including those who didn't bother)
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Whatever, but they aren't your own personal achievements.
So what?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
So what?

Barbados is so proud of Rhianna they have made her ambassador.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 04:56 PM

I am proud that my mother was from Scotland and my great grandfather was a very active member of government there at one time. I don't want to say the name or his title...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 04:57 PM

I think it's becoming very clear, even on only this one thread, why Britain is not the country it once was.

Time was we made a democratically arrived at decision as to how to run our country. Now, all we seem to do is constantly argue about it.

Britain is the product of the British people. It is what we make it.

As I have said, I was once proud of this country. Now, I am proud of what it once was.

Page 5 of 20 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top